So if it's not a cold then what is it?

shay20

Shay's Flock of Fun
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
in the wild, Mass
Ok, I dont what to sound like a smart bleeb, but ,I have always known for some of my chickens to get colds, Ok MAYBE thats not the right term for it, but any way.
I guess you cant say that a chicken has a cold. I know when a chicken has a respiratory cold.
That is different from what some of mine go through. So i need to know the correct term that way i dont lead people into the wrong thing.

For example one of my baby chicks is sneezing, I dont think its dust or any thing like that,
Her nose has dried up gunk around her nostril, so if this is not considered a cold, then what is it.

I'll be giving her some vetrx tomorrow.

yes the vetrx is best
rub on the head
and under the wings
and put 1/2 tsp down the throat
and 2 tsps per gallon of water for all the birds
it can be a respiratory disease that birds get

most people just say cold and the technical people call it respiratory disease
but what ever you want to call it use the vetrx till it is gone
pm me if more questions

Thats what i use to prevent colds,
But what i need to know is that not considered a cold?
because it is not respiratory.

And if it is not a cold, then what would it be?

I mean i call it a cold. it just i and others helped some else out, but we called his problem a cold, and now a few are saying chickens dont get colds, i mean i think they do, but if im wrong i would some one to tell me the correct term, for something that has nothing do with the repertory but with sinus.

if they have a sinus problem it comes under respiratory illnesses..
some are caused by bacteria, some by a virus.

chronic respiratory illness is called CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease)
there are several kinds of diseases and conditions that are considered CRD.
in some..the symptoms can be treated, but the disease is not cured forever, and can re-occur in times of stress, or lowered immunity.
most of these are contagious in some way.

in your case..the chick sounds like it could have infected and blocked sinuses..and should be treated with an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectible, or at least aureomycin or terramycin if the vetrx doesn't help..but I wouldn't wait too long..
if you see bubbling eyes, sometimes with swelling..and continued sinus problems..then the chick will need a sinus flush and eye cleansing and antibiotic eye ointment such as terramycin eye ointment, and definitely the Tylan or some other good antibiotic for respiratory problems, such as Doxycycline or LS-50..

others might have different opinions..

shay20,
You are right it is just a semantics thing. Chickens technically can't catch the rhinovirus' that cause "colds" in mammals. I think the reason people get concerned about it, is because chickens can get a lot of serious (read fatal) diseases that look like a "cold' to us humans, and the worry is that it will be treated casually, leading to the death of the chicken. You throw in the emotions of a pet owner with a sick pet, the cold rationality of medicine, empathy and differing opinions on courses of action and you get a minor dust-up, like what happened earlier today. Hope this helps.

Imp- Also what sammi said

Last edited:
I guess I was too slow! I just said the same thing:

What people mean when they say chickens don't get colds is that they do not get the rhinovirus that causes the common cold in humans.

When we get the flu, which is caused by the influenza virus, we don't say we have a cold because it's a different disease. We say we have the flu.

The diseases that cause chickens to sneeze and get ill are caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses, but none of them are the rhinovirus.

Some of these diseases are much more serious for chickens than the common cold is for humans, which is why people don't like to call them "colds." They fear we will not treat the disease correctly if we think it is "just a cold." It could be infectious bronchitis or CRD or even something caused by mold or fungus like aspergillosis (sp?).

If your chicken gets a runny nose that is not caused by dust or other particles it has a chicken disease caused by one of the bacteria, viruses, or fungi that cause problems in chickens. The problem we all have is: which one is it? For that you need a vet to do a culture.

I hope that gives you some idea of what people are talking about when they say "chickens don't get colds".

Last edited:
Here's the problem with calling respiratory diseases "colds" in chickens.

Humans get colds, they get over colds and are no longer contagious. Chickens can become carriers of viral diseases.

Chickens can get sinus infections, but how do you know if it's that or a virus that will make it contagious for LIFE? You do not unless you have an avian vet test the bird for you.

Many respiratory diseases are caused by herpes-type viruses...how many of us dont know what that means? It means the virus is in the body permanently.

If you treat respiratory illness, passing it off as just a cold but yet, you really do not know what that bird has, how can you ever be sure that you won't pass that on to someone else's flock? You can't. And I dont want anyone whose birds have "colds" to sell me hatching eggs or birds. (well, I refuse to buy birds anyway).

Remember that avians are not mammals as humans are. They react differently to disease, get diseases that humans don't get, etc. That is why my policy is to cull for anything respiratory if it ever rears its ugly head. Cant take the chance. No antibiotics (which cant fight viruses anyway)

Ok thank you for the clarification on this subject. Now I know that when i asnwer a thread not to call it a cold.

And my little one i think it is from dust, becouse my husband did clean out there boxes the day before, and there was a lot of dust flying around, she looks better and sounds better now.

I put her seperated from others yesterday morning, i will keep her by herself for a while.

Thank you for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom