So Im left with my head scratching about Hens and their chicks

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Can chicks not stay with their mamas in the coop?
Down the road from me I always see chicks trailing their moms (but these are free ranging chickens)
But on here I always see people talking about bringing them inside and rearing them..
Im confused

I think it's just a personal choice and dependant on the situation. They chicks should be fine as long as they were hatched with Mom.

I think it's only a problem if the other big birds go after the chicks, or if mom is so crazy about protecting the chicks that she hurts everyone else! It might just be prudent to have a back up plan if they do need to be secluded. (At least thats my plan!)

Quote:
I agree!! I think some of the people that take the chicks are ones who the hen is not taking good care of them as well. Plus there are a lot of people that incubate eggs, no hen involved. There are a few that bring hen and chicks all inside, but that is a bit extreme for me!! But even the little ones make me sick, if they're in the house too long, so maybe that's why!

I've had hens raise chicks in the big pen on occasion,when my other pens were full. For the most part they do fine,but there are some hazards. They need a small container of water so they won't try to drink out of the big one,fall in,and drown. Of course all of the big chickens will insist on drinking this water and will end up knocking it over. Same thing with the food. Mine have never bothered the chicks,just the food and water. As long as there is something the chicks can hide under,they should be safe from the big chickens. I find that when I can separate the mom with her chicks,the chicks get more food and grow better. Unless I have a devil hen,I would not take her chicks and rear them myself. She does a much better job.

The only natural hatchings we have had are our banties. I want to see anyone go after their chicks. Buttercup our last banty had hers in one of the goat houses, (they freerange) That first day she attacked the goat. Even they knew better than to come within touching distance. She not only comes at you with her claws she flies up at your face. lol Nobody messes with her babies.

I have had the hen hatch out babies...several times. The only part I DONT like about it is....these babies are usually NOT as social to humans as the ones we raise in the house.

I just fear for the ones that I would raise in the house bc of my dogs and cat.
Would a dog crate work?
or a garage I only use for storage?

you would have to make it animal proof if you were raising chicks in the house (unless your dog and cat are ok with them).... Yes, a small carrier would work, I belive that mama hens should be able to raise there chicks outside (unless they dont want them or have other MAJOR issues) I think it stinks when a hen sits on eggs for 21 days does all that work and people take the chicks so they will be friendlyer, Kinda stinks for mama hen....

Ya I guess id be pretty mad if I wasa hen lol
But I guess I dont really care if they are so nice cause I plan on eating the birds..not making nice.
Well you catch my drift.

Back
Top Bottom