SO mad! Darn Neighbor's Cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if it's already been said (I didn't read thru all posts) but can you file a complaint with animal control? I don't think shooting it is the answer. It's not the cat's fault, it's the stupid owner that has decided her cats need to be outside. As a "mom" to 2 strictly indoor cats, nothing makes me madder than seeing people have such disrespect for not only their own animal's lives but the lives of other people's pets too and native wildlife that outdoor cats constantly kill.

Water gun with something REALLY stinky in it. That way she will know for sure that it is her cat causing the problems AND she will have to figure out how to destink the cat. Have you ever tried to bath a cat? The hassle might make her keep the cat inside from here on out.

(Skunk spray? Coyote urine? Deer musk? I'm thinking the hunting store might have something really rank!)

spray it with a hose if it keeps coming around, that's how I keep feral cats out of the yard. I have two indoor/outdoor cats that love to follow the chickens around, they will even stalk them- but they have never jumped them, tried to bite them, or scratch them. Cats are predators, but ducks and chickens (beside babies and bantams) are a bit big for a meal. Good luck!

If your property has a wooden privacy fence like most of suburbia I would suggest running a hot wire along the top of the fence. It will keep the cat from jumping the fence. You can get a transformer, wire and insulators at HomeDepot or Lowes. I have my coop hot wired along the outside to keep the raccoons and bobcats from being interested in my coop. Another solution would be to get a dog that likes to chase cats which wouldn't be hard to find at a shelter or rescue. You'd solve your problem and provide a home for another pet.
big_smile.png

pellet gun to the butt of the cat if you can make the shot. Gets your point across and once the cat associates your yard with PAIN...then odds are he won't be back anytime soon

some states have laws against cats runnig loose just like leash laws for dogs. It might be best to send a
un-signed message to that neighbor just to warn them or if the laws in your state are againstfree roaming cats maybe copy that and mail it to them and then take actin if that dn't work but when you do it is always best to to keep quiet about it. I do't like cats due to I get down in the dirt with my hands (gardenng) and there's ot much worse then digging up what a ca has burried much less the harm they can do to young chicks. Good Luck

I would trap it and take it to the shelter. She will have to pay a hefty fine to get it out. May make her think twice. If she loves her cats so much she should keep them indoors.

maybe a paint ball gun . she will get the point of you "will" shoot her cat & with the paint on it says its not the cat down the street.
smack.gif

Last edited:
I agree with the person who suggested electrical fencing. I think that's the most sensible solution.

As for the person who thinks that anyone who cares about their cat will keep it indoors - we used to keep all our cats indoors. Then we got Rowdy. The second time he jumped off the 2nd story patio to get out and came back limping, we decided that he REALLY wants to be an indoor/outdoor cat. He generally sleeps cuddled up with us at night. He goes out the cat/dog door and comes back, at will. Sometimes he'll rush at the chickens, then stops, but mostly he ignores them. Our other cat completely ignores them.

If I thought any of the neighbor cats were a problem (attacking the chickens rather than just curious), electric fencing would be my first option, since it would also be useful against other predators. The suggestion to get a dog is also a good one. I don't recommend shooting the cat. It won't keep other predators out. And I have to say, if someone shot my cat, they'd have a lot more to worry about than one cat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom