So many bad things are going through my mind i need help now!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jesseschickens, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 15 chickens and when i went up to count them around 8:20ish a barred rock hen named grace was not in her coop with her sisters. I called for her and looked around the surrounding areas and could not find her. My dad said it is natural for chickens to go hide in trees and covered areas. what could be in pennsilvaina that would hurt a hen???? or do yall think she will back...

They are in an enclosed run that is big with a six foot live stock fence and only one way out which is only over a smaller run that she would have had to walk across.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. johnsonpoultryfarms

johnsonpoultryfarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    sometimes if your late putting them up they will go to roost in surrounding trees on their own

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Maybe she's just found someplace else to roost for the night, or she's sitting on some eggs.

I'd go out first thing shaking a can of treats in the morning and hopefully she'll come running!

4. aliceh

aliceh New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    When I have accidentally left one of our hens out to free range after dusk they will fly up into a laurel bush above the coop and roost. Almost impossible to see because they are so still. I was really worried, but she was clucking around at the henhouse door in the morning. Good luck!

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I've thought birds were dead or missing before and found them the next morning safe and sound before. Don't lose hope ! [​IMG]

6. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Did you fnd her?? Hope your worries were for nothing, and she is safe and sound back home [​IMG]

7. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I hope you have found her. I thought the same when one of mine came up missing. She had just hidden a nest and I now have four new chicks! There are varmits that are in our area that love to snack on chickens. Raccoons and opposums. I don't mean to worry you but just wanted you aware. Hope everything turns out right.

8. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Well i went up this morning at 6:00 and my heart droped. she wasnt outside the run door. then i counted the hens inside the run and realised that there was still one barred rock missing but it was a diffrent hen!!! i dont know how gracie did it but she got back into the run without my help!!! Mabey i should have 2 hens named clever not just 1??? and i know for a fact that gracie was nowhere in her run last night because i checked several times... oh by the way clever the other hen who was not out this morning was laying her egg!!!

Here is a picture of my beautiful grace-
    [​IMG]

And here very feathed butt which i think is sooo cute!!!-
    [​IMG]

Always remeb er the hen that ha escaped twice but found her way back

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Quote:I am glad that your Gracie found her way home [​IMG] I don't know where you are in PA, but there are many things here that can hurt chickens. We have hawks, raccoons, possums, rats, just to name a few...plus in some areas, there are bobcats, snakes, coyotes and even a few mountain lions that were released a while ago...not to mention, neighborhood and feral dogs and cats!

10. Jesseschickens

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Quote:I am very aware of thoes things and i have done reacherch on them. the most common time they attack a chicken is when there is no other food around (most likely middle of winter). Most of the time they go after eggs though... just to ease your mind!!! Congradulations on your little chicks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by