so many incubaters...

Quote:
Here are a couple of digital thermostats. I don't think the thermo for the 1588 would be compatible with a waterheater heating element. The reptile thermostat *might* be. Why not use something other than a waterheater element? I don't believe I've heard of using that for the heater. ?????

Here is the replacement thermostat for the 1588...it is digital. There area actually two different models. This one is for older 1588's that are simply wired "wire to wire" with no "quick disconnect" between thermostat and heater....
GQF Digital Thermostat $64.95 + shipping.

Here is a digital thermostat that some folks have used with success, though I believe it's intended for reptiles, it appears more "plug and play".... ReptiTemp 500R $25-$35 + shipping.

I hope this helps you,
Best wishes,
Ed

Thought about making a cabnet bator but making sliding shelves that would each hold a hovabator type turner and I want to beable to dial in my temp and wait and not have to fiddle with it every few hours to get it just right. this is the only thing i don't like about my hovabator.

Quote:
I stupidly set up the bator next to a south facing wall, and failed to think to move it on a surprisingly hot day. :[
My eggs spiked to 103.9 at about 20 hours (humidity 60%). Should I assume they are dead?
I'm just sick about damaging these treasured eggs.
hit.gif
he.gif

woops! thought it was 2 months... it had part of the answer I needed, too! I hate starting a new thread if I just have one little question.... ok ok I will

The best incubator I ever purchased are my Cochin hens. I have found that it's work free for me! When they are broody, I put eggs in their nest and in 20-21- days.....I have chicks.
jumpy.gif

My one cochin has been broody twice this year.
I had also searched for incubators, and everything was time consuming, and seemed to be such a hassel.....I decided against an incubator, and bought me 3 cochin hens!!! When you're sure they are broody, and wanting to raise babies...put eggs in the nest....she will keep them the right temperature, turn them several times a day....and YOU are free to do what you want to do.
I also get a lot of enjoyment out of watching my hens on the nest....just waiting to be mommie! They dont leave the nest often when they are setting eggs. So dont be surprised if the hen is not mobile very often. She will leave the nest to poop, get a drink, eat a little, scratch around in the yard....then back on the nest for another few days before she leaves it again.
I had 1 cochin hen that only left the nest twice in a week. After the eggs hatched, she was stiff, and had lost weight....but she was the best little mamma, and it wasnt long before she was walking normal again, and gained her weight back.
clap.gif

if you have a local tractor supply go there they have wide vaitys of incubators, i would sugest one of the foam ones, my friend haches eggs with thoes she used an octane or octagon or whatever its called and it boiled her eggs so get the foam ones the ciculate the air, Nd a problem you might have is not turning your eggs enough
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
:jumpywell, if you want to try incubating them withought buying any thing, all you gotta do is, put egg under lamp...... turn every 1/2 hour maybe, and then you may have a cute chick.
jumpy.gif
:eek:

Quote:
Welcome to the site!

From what I've heard, that technique doesn't work too well. Not enough humidity, and it would be hard to get the temperature right.
But I'm not an expert.

Wow a 2 year old thread that keeps getting new post.........but it is a often ask ........

Myself i would look for a used sportsman......should be able to find one for about 200.00

I have over 12 incubators, different type......will be selling all due to my health.

Back
Top Bottom