SO many questions about behavior!

Sounds in the videos are loaded with meaning. The pulsed unh-unh-uhh is a low intensity agression vocalization. Hens are telling you to back off. If more aggressive, then greater emphasis will come in the h-parts of syllables above, wings will be positioned at a 45 degree angle down from the relaxed position and tail will be fanned out. Those are talking a lot more than we give them credit for. The sneezing / whistle is as indicated above an attempt to clean air passages.

I have wondered about chicken behavior as well. I would love to learn more about them. I lost 2 chickens in the past 2 days and I thought it was a cat, but on the second chicken I caught one of our dogs killing her. What amazes me is the other chickens all saw this happen, both times I'm sure, but none of the other hens showed that they were afraid of the dog. I would have thought that the sight of her again after the first one would have sent them flying (which is why I assumed it was a cat the first time) I know that chickens are very intelligent creatures, so I wonder why they would still act normal around the dog after witnessing her kill 2 other hens. The dog was a foster and has been rehomed. RIP Henrietta and Cricket ♡

The chicken being played with was not giving alarm calls, at least no at intensity needed to motivate observers. Also the dogs were not acting like a predator that means business. If anything, the chickens were confused and not knowing what was actually going on. Situation not unlike where you have a large crowd and someone is being physically assailed but you cannot quite tell what it going on.

Back
Top Bottom