So many questions.....

Lenis

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2015
Pennsylvania
So I'm a first timer and I really wish I would have done more homework before the babies arrived but I guess you could always say that. I've got two questions to start. I've got 20 2 week old white longhorns. I've been brooding them in my small outdoor coop. 19 of them are doing fantastic. I can't believe how much they've grown and that I'm seeing so many feathers already. The first question is, I've already let them out in the yard. It seems to be a matter of opinion on if this is good or bad. The run is completely enclosed. They have water and I sprinkled some feed in the grass. I sit with them a lot and they seem very happy to go in and out of the coop when they want and wander around the grass picking. It's very warm here so I'm not worried about them being cold, plus they all know how to get back to their warmer. Is letting them out so early a bad thing? What are the cons to this? Then there's number 20. She's been smaller than the rest from the beginning and she's way behind on growth compared to her sisters. She developed pasty butt but it didn't really seem to slow her down and no one seemed to pick on her. Yesterday I took her and soaked her bottom to get the poop off. It wouldn't come off with a wet cloth. I dried her good and put some Vaseline on it. She's missing most of her butt fluff now which just makes her look smaller. I've seen a couple pecks at her bottom from the others but they seem to leave her alone. She doesn't come outside with the others. She does eat and drink and poop but she spends most of her time under the heater sleeping and now she's developed a bit of a limp. She just looks like she doesn't feel well but she's the sweetest of the bunch. The only one that doesn't take off when I open the door. Is there anything more I can do for her or is it just wait and see? Honestly I was surprised she made it through the night last night.

Hi there,

I think the set-up you describe is just fine. I also allow my young chicks to range in an enclosed small garden area when they are very young like that, even in cooler 50-60 degree weather, and they all develop into great foragers. As far as the little runt, I have had a couple of these in the past, little chicks from the same batch that just don't seem to grow…one thing you can try is to get some Poultry NutriDrench liquid vitamins, and give her a dropperful each day. This may help her perk up. My former runts eventually grew to normal size and now I can't tell them from the others, so hopefully this is the case for you, also.

Good luck, sounds like you're doing just fine so far.

:welcome

I agree with all that barkinghills wrote. Allowing the chicks access to a run is totally fine at this age as long as it is secure and they have easy access to water and a heater.

Poultry NutriDrench is also a great idea. Keep checking her for pasty butt, as it can recur, and make sure that when you dip her bottom in water you dry her off completely afterward like you did this time. If you see the other chicks pecking her bottom more, you may have to section off a space for her, but I'd hold off on that unless absolutely necessary.

Is she drinking on her own? Eating? If not, you might have to encourage her by dipping her beak (not nostrils) in the dishes. You could also moisten her crumbles into a mash, or offer her some scrambled eggs with grit.

And you mentioned a limp? She'd be a little old to get this, but why don't you read this article and make sure she doesn't have any of the common leg deformities: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom