So many questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Taytaywags, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Taytaywags

Taytaywags New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    I need as many suggestions as possible!
    1.if I were to get the Plymouth rock and the Rhode Island red chicken would they get along fine?
    2.what would I feed theses chickens (i need to know when to feed them and how much)
    3.what type of feed would they eat?
    I will update this if I have more questions. Thank you

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, many people mix their flocks. It may be wiser to make them all large fowl, like the two you mantioned, rather than mixing in with a bantam such as Silkies, at least as a beginner.

Start baby chicks on starter feed, switch to grower around 8 or 10 weeks, then switch to layer or a flock raiser, feneral purpose feed.

Check out our Learning Center, above, for a great source for beginning information.

3. countrygirl345

countrygirl345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    how old are these two chickens? If they are both chicks, then they should grow up together and get along fine. If not, then there are plenty of threads about integrating chickens together. For feed, There are several brands like Purina and DuMor that make food for chickens only. The kind you get will depend on how old the chicks are.(Ex: starter, grower, layer, etc.) You should have unlimited food available all the time. You can also give them greens and scraps as a treat. Don't worry, they won't eat themselves to death:) If you have any more questions, this is the place to ask. You seem to be new to the chicken world, so don't be shy! We are happy to help.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC!
    1. They should be fine (I have both and they are great!)
    2. What Judy said.
    3. What Judy Said.

Good luck!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

1-Agree with previous posts, getting them at the same age and picking similar sized breeds will help them learn to get along.
    2-The brand of feed is a personal decision - I assume you want layers - the brand of feed usually has a recommended age to switch from starter to layer. The main thing is that baby chicks and young pullets cannot handle the amount of calcium in layer feed. If you pick a brand you want to use, and cannot decide when to change. post the question under feeding your flock. Some feed and seed stores carry smaller bags, TSC carries larger bags. What size bag of feed you need depends on the size of your flock. I manage my small flock with a filled feeder for free feeding - and I don't have to figure out how much to put out. I just watch the feeder add a scoop when needed. But I do have to discard and place a clean feeder once a week.
    3- baby chicks have to have crumbles. If you offer anything other than just the feed, you will need to add baby chick grit. Once they are ready for layer feed, it's your choice to get pellets or crumbled type feeds.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    All this talk about feed is making me hungry. Try not to go overboard feeding treats. - Chickens are like kids, and will turn their noses up at nutritional feed if given too many treats.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by