So much to learn; so many birds

tmorgan46

Songster
Sep 22, 2015
Stafford, VA
Howdy Everyone!
My wife and I got our first batch of fine feathered friends a couple of months ago. We have 2 grey geese, 6 muscovy ducks and 3 chickens. We started with more but suffered a loss in each "department" along the way. Everything from sickness in a chicken to a gosling that we found unharmed but not very much alive... Our Golden Retreiver showed her lineage and proved that slow ducks don't fare very well. And lastly, one of our poor chickens found out how efficient hawks are. We've learned the hard way and I think we've gotten past the worst of it and now provide a safe habitat for our new flock. Living on the fringe of a city and 2+ acres that are heavily wooded, our first attraction was a natural means to pest control. And boy do we now have pest control!! Just last week the wife and I stood frozen in our shoes as we watched a young duck discover, give chase, make contact and then consume a small garden snake like it was absolutely nothing. I used to really dislike the huge ground spiders we have, but now I pity them. Amazing!
Anyhow, I'm looking forward to learning all that I can from all of you willing to share and likewise pass along everything we've learned and will continue to learn along the way.
Thanks and warmest regards,
Troy & Tina

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC!

I'm sorry for your losses.

Thanks for joining us, hope things go better for you.

Thanks NorthFlChick! I appreciate the sentiments. Things are much better and getting better all the time. It's amazing how much pleasure these feathered friends can bring. Today I had 3 ducks and our adolescent gander eating meal worms out of my hands. Totally cool. I could have easily spent the entire afternoon doing that.

Last edited:
Thanks NorthFlChick! I appreciate the sentiments. Things are much better and getting better all the time. It's amazing how much pleasure these feathered friends can bring. Today I had 3 ducks and our adolescent gander eating meal worms out of my hands. Totally cool. I could have easily spent the entire afternoon doing that.

And that's why I like to say chicken tv (and duck tv for you) is the best show around! So glad you are having fun
smile.png

Very nice to meet you Troy and Tina. Sorry about your losses. In regard to dogs, it's best if dog and poultry never mix. Dog enjoys itself, poultry winds up dead. No fun for them. You never hear of a chicken or duck killing a dog but, I suppose a large goose could do major damage.

Thanks Drumstick Diva! I appreciate the sentiments. Fortunately for us and our small flock, things have gotten much better or at least we haven't experienced any problems in the last few weeks. And you're spot on regarding dogs. The wife and I were ahead of it, but the 17 year old didn't get the memo... He found out that letting the dogs out back and then going back to a video game is a sure recipe for disaster. Valuable lesson learned for him on that one. Reading through a few other threads we've run across a few great ideas which I'm sure we'll try a few.

Thanks again for the welcome wagon!!

T&T

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom