So much water!!

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
What causes a female quail to drink so much? Since yesterday morning she started acting strange . She doesn't eat but drinks water alot. Her crop is full of water and she makes a gurgling noise when I pick her up. She's sleepy and has no interest in treats or her mate. I've offered spinach which she loves and she doesn't take it. Her poop is also very watery and white I'm assuming from all the water intake. 2 days ago she was bouncing and fine. She is kept indoors on soft bedding and eats gamebird feed. Her mate is fine so I hope it's nothing contagious. She's also 3 years old . Does not lay and hasn't since the beginning of the year .

What causes a female quail to drink so much? Since yesterday morning she started acting strange . She doesn't eat but drinks water alot. Her crop is full of water and she makes a gurgling noise when I pick her up. She's sleepy and has no interest in treats or her mate. I've offered spinach which she loves and she doesn't take it. Her poop is also very watery and white I'm assuming from all the water intake. 2 days ago she was bouncing and fine. She is kept indoors on soft bedding and eats gamebird feed. Her mate is fine so I hope it's nothing contagious. She's also 3 years old . Does not lay and hasn't since the beginning of the year .
I don't know much about Quail, but in chickens, excess drinking, crop full of water and some gurgling noises makes me think she has a crop issue. Any sour smell to her breath?
@TwoCrows is treatment for crop issues the same/similar for Quail as chickens?

@ashlierami has your quail been laying eggs? Is she pooping?

I don't know much about Quail, but in chickens, excess drinking, crop full of water and some gurgling noises makes me think she has a crop issue. Any sour smell to her breath?
@TwoCrows is treatment for crop issues the same/similar for Quail as chickens?

@ashlierami has your quail been laying eggs? Is she pooping?
I tried to feed her with a syringe and wet food and she threw up very warm awful smelling water. This happened sudd with her being sickly. She was fine 2 days ago and then boom she was acting weird. The last day she ate good she ate boiled eggs, lettuce, and had her feed available. Water is changed daily and bedding is changed daily since she lives inside I don't want the smell to build up. I noticed she wasn't right when she didn't want her treat. She's lost weight and prefers to sleep or sit down. She's in a separate small cage but where her mate can see her. Her poop is watery and all white. It also smells sorta like urine or like a feminine smell. I know that sounds weird but her room smells like a women's public restroom and I just changed the bedding yesterday at 5pm. She hasn't laid eggs in awhile I'm assuming due to her age she's 3. It's been 6 months or more since she laid an egg and it was tiny the last time she laid. I originally thought egg bound and I soaked her yesterday, applied Vaseline to her vent and massaged her. Also gave her tums water and today is no change. I'll include a pic of her poop below . I had her out on some old blankets and sheets while I tried to comfort her and check her out.
IMG_20190901_142420313.jpg
IMG_20190901_142413487.jpg
IMG_20190901_142401008.jpg
IMG_20190901_142406870.jpg

I tried to feed her with a syringe and wet food and she threw up very warm awful smelling water. This happened sudd with her being sickly. She was fine 2 days ago and then boom she was acting weird.

She's lost weight and prefers to sleep or sit down. She's in a separate small cage but where her mate can see her. Her poop is watery and all white. It also smells sorta like urine or like a feminine smell.

She hasn't laid eggs in awhile I'm assuming due to her age she's 3. It's been 6 months or more since she laid an egg and it was tiny the last time she laid.
Is the poop a tinge bloody as well?
The throwing up bad smelling water sounds like sour crop, but the weight loss and not laying eggs sounds like a reproductive issue.

@Texas Kiki @007Sean Do quail suffer reproductive disorders like chickens do? Treating crop issues same/similar to that of chickens?

Sorry to hear she passed. I just saw that I got tagged on this thread, sorry I didn't see it sooner but seriously, in this case, I doubt it would have helped, if it was Ulcerative enteritis, it spreads like wildfire and can kill quail in a few hours or days, from initial contact with the bacteria. From looking at the pics of her feces and the symptoms you were reporting, loss of weight, not eating. They will also tend to 'hunch up', eyes closed, and lethargic. I would say it was Ulcerative enteritis, the large amount of urates and watery condition of the feces is also an indicator of UE.

Treatment is tetracycline, oxytetracycline, or Duramycin, given in their drinking water. It wouldn't hurt to dose you're remaining quail and I would do it ASAP!
Although, ulcerative enteritis is usually an illness of Bobwhite quail other quail can contract the maylay from ingesting feed or water that has the feces of another infected bird in the feed or water.
Prevention from ulcerative enteritis is keeping their water and feed, super clean and fresh.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear she passed. I just saw that I got tagged on this thread, sorry I didn't see it sooner but seriously, in this case, I doubt it would have helped, if it was Ulcerative enteritis, it spreads like wildfire and can kill quail in a few hours or days, from initial contact with the bacteria. From looking at the pics of her feces and the symptoms you were reporting, loss of weight, not eating. They will also tend to 'hunch up', eyes closed, and lethargic. I would say it was Ulcerative enteritis, the large amount of urates and watery condition of the feces is also an indicator of UE.

Treatment is tetracycline, oxytetracycline, or Duramycin, given in their drinking water. It wouldn't hurt to dose you're remaining quail and I would do it ASAP!
Although, ulcerative enteritis is usually an illness of Bobwhite quail other quail can contract the maylay from ingesting feed or water that has the feces of another infected bird in the feed or water.
Prevention from ulcerative enteritis is keeping their water and feed, super clean and fresh.
@007Sean I do have a question:D The crop issue-is that uncommon in Quail or would you consider that a symptom of UE as a result of inflammation/infection in the intestines (slowing of the digestive system)? (much like with chickens - crop issues are often a sign/symptom of an underlying condition or infection)

Thank you for the info. She made it to day 3 and her mate is still healthy. He's been calling for her but I think he will calm down in the coming days. If she had UE when should I notice symptoms in her mate? I always kept water and food clean. They live inside my house. Bedding changed daily. Fresh water daily.

Back
Top Bottom