So.my eggs are small...

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
because they just started laying a couple wks ago...

when you have a recipe (say banana bread) that says 2 eggs..most of thte time
we use large eggs..so should I use 3 instead??

and my yolks are not very bright...whats up w/that anyway?? thought they were to be brighter...

I would use 3. Not sure about the yolks...some of mine are really dark gold and some are light yellow, even though they all eat the same things.

Mine are penned and fed Layena from purina, and have deep colored yolks, not bright like light yellow, but deep gold to orange (they also get rich dark greens and other table foods). They say it's the marigold in the Layena feed that does it. My free range flocks years ago had deep colored yolks and never ate a marigold. Probably deep colored back then because they got daily scratch with corn.

I also get medium size eggs from my RIRs. What I've been doing for a recipe that calls for whole eggs is measuring them. I large egg = about 3 1/4 tablespoons. An ounce is 2 tablespoons. 2 large eggs = 6 1/2 tablespoons = 3 ounces + 1/2 tablespoon.

This gets to be a pain when you've got to figure it all out every time. I made up a little chart for myself with the measurements and refer to it each time.

Here's a link with some volume measurements: http://www.indiacurry.com/Miscel/eggvolume.htm

Back
Top Bottom