1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

So... my girl started laying YAY! But is this a double yolk'er?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Webbigail, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Webbigail

Webbigail In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    My Cayuga started laying about a week ago and yesterday she laid the same size egg as the one to the right (that's actually the egg she laid today). That one was cracked though so I opened it in a bowl and there were two yolks connected and fertilized. Is this happening cause she just started laying for the first time? Is this common? Should I get rid of this egg? Or would twins survive? Help!

[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Double-yolkers can happen with new layers...at least in chickens. Don't see why it would be different for ducks. Someone even hatched some double yolkers.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I've been getting some double yolkers from my ducks recently ... twice as good !

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    My old pekin Omlet layed double-yolked eggs all through out her laying, I once got two double yolkers from her that were both fertilized by my runner drake, both had twins but I um...*ahem* accidentally killed them both [​IMG]

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    They can be hatched with care... but I would go nuts to eat up a yummy double yolk duck egg!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by