So my Indian Runner hen is a drake and I think he/she has a thing for my chickens

Addisonh11

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Well, I've had backyard chickens for a year and a half now and have been loving it, but about 5 months ago I added a "female" Blue Indian Runner duck I got while away at camp this summer. I raised her—I just found out she's not a her 10 minutes,so I don't know how I'll stop calling her that—from only 9 weeks old until she was about 14 weeks old and then I returned home and added her to my flock of 4 chickens.

At first, the chickens shunned her, but after a month or two of following them around and being constantly chased off, she broke into their clique and truly became one of them. She now roams the backyard with the chickens foraging and eating with them all day long. She just recently started going up into the coop with them to sleep.

The problem is, I've seen her before nibble at the back of the necks of the other chickens, and I have been suspecting it for a while, but after doing a little research I'm 95% sure she's actually a boy (she has the curved tail feathers) and may be trying to mount the chickens. The chickens usually just ignore her and walk away when the duck does this, but she tends to follow them around nibbling at their necks and walking behind them. I know they prefer to mate in the water, but will a duck try to mount a chicken on land?

Is there any danger in keeping the duck around? My family adores the duck, and the duck gets along so well with the chickens. The chickens are fully capable of defending themselves in most situations and are much faster than the duck if they need to be. Is there any chance the duck will hurt them if she is indeed a sexually frustrated drake?

If this is a problem, what's the solution? Do I need to get rid of the duck? Or—if I were able to find a female Indian Runner (or another breed of duck)—would introducing a female duck to the backyard flock solve the problem?

Thank you for any advice you've got for me! :)

Well, I've had backyard chickens for a year and a half now and have been loving it, but about 5 months ago I added a "female" Blue Indian Runner duck I got while away at camp this summer. I raised her—I just found out she's not a her 10 minutes,so I don't know how I'll stop calling her that—from only 9 weeks old until she was about 14 weeks old and then I returned home and added her to my flock of 4 chickens.

At first, the chickens shunned her, but after a month or two of following them around and being constantly chased off, she broke into their clique and truly became one of them. She now roams the backyard with the chickens foraging and eating with them all day long. She just recently started going up into the coop with them to sleep.

The problem is, I've seen her before nibble at the back of the necks of the other chickens, and I have been suspecting it for a while, but after doing a little research I'm 95% sure she's actually a boy (she has the curved tail feathers) and may be trying to mount the chickens. The chickens usually just ignore her and walk away when the duck does this, but she tends to follow them around nibbling at their necks and walking behind them. I know they prefer to mate in the water, but will a duck try to mount a chicken on land?

Is there any danger in keeping the duck around? My family adores the duck, and the duck gets along so well with the chickens. The chickens are fully capable of defending themselves in most situations and are much faster than the duck if they need to be. Is there any chance the duck will hurt them if she is indeed a sexually frustrated drake?

If this is a problem, what's the solution? Do I need to get rid of the duck? Or—if I were able to find a female Indian Runner (or another breed of duck)—would introducing a female duck to the backyard flock solve the problem?

Thank you for any advice you've got for me! :)
I'd get your drake a couple of ducks doesn't matter the breed unless it does to you, yes he will eventually grab on and she won't be able to get away and most likely she will be injured internally, ducks and chickens are not made to breed, For the time being until you can bring home some girls put up some temp fencing and keep them separate. I wouldn't get rid of the drake he is only doing what comes natural, he just needs to have his own species to breed with, and 2 will keep them from being over bred.
welcome-byc.gif
Duck thread

I'd get your drake a couple of ducks doesn't matter the breed unless it does to you, yes he will eventually grab on and she won't be able to get away and most likely she will be injured internally, ducks and chickens are not made to breed, For the time being until you can bring home some girls put up some temp fencing and keep them separate. I wouldn't get rid of the drake he is only doing what comes natural, he just needs to have his own species to breed with, and 2 will keep them from being over bred.
welcome-byc.gif
Duck thread
thumbsup.gif
Yep, unfortunately, it can be issue with drakes especially if they have none of their own kind to get cuddly with.

Thank y'all so much! I'm going to try to get a female or two if possible! Are there some breeds better than others for my situation? I also need a breed that is easy to find; I see muscovies are quite common. Would Muscovy ducks be compatible with the Indian Runner Drake (like not too big for him) and would they get along with the chickens okay? Also, I don't have much water (which is why an Indian Runner was a great option) so what's a good duck breed for me? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Thank y'all so much! I'm going to try to get a female or two if possible! Are there some breeds better than others for my situation? I also need a breed that is easy to find; I see muscovies are quite common. Would Muscovy ducks be compatible with the Indian Runner Drake (like not too big for him) and would they get along with the chickens okay? Also, I don't have much water (which is why an Indian Runner was a great option) so what's a good duck breed for me? Thanks :)
It would be nice if you could get Runners for your Runner drake same body type weight etc. If you get Muscovies they maybe a little larger in body size -build but if you get them young they would probably bond with your drake but not being mallard derived they are a bit different for one thing their off spring will be sterile didn't know if you knew that? or if you care being as it's a good way to control duck population lol. But also there are other breeds of ducks that are a bit smaller that would work too, so you have alot of choices, and as for water mine enjoy a large kiddy pool when it's not freezing and will wash in buckets when it is, so land ducks aren't that picky about water, but do love a good bath often and it keeps the parasites down too. let us know what you find.

HI,
I have the same problem, but I have 5 female ducks for my 1 drake and he is still terrorising my hens! Can I do anything else besides separate them or find him a new home?

Back
Top Bottom