So... nonstop quail crowing from 4:30 to 6:30 AM??!

rachel

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I really like the sound of the coturnix crow, but this morning he was going from before dawn until at least 6:30 with literally no more than 5 seconds in between crows. I'm pretty sure it's just one of my roos that's doing it. Now that he's started this, is he going to do this every morning???! He's in with 4 females and one male and the noisy male is the dominant one. They are 7.5 weeks old.
I'm sleeeeepy!

Are you sure there are females in the pen? I had some that would do that, but there were only 2 males, no females. Are the females a lot younger? Cause the males don't normally crow a whole lot. But the ones I had that didn't have any girls would crow for quite a while in the mornings.

when I go to the garage they crow for 15 minutes straight (although I have quite a few) and then I only hear them once in a while. Happy roo's have a big harem!

I am sure there are females in there as I'm getting eggs. I am guessing that the best chance for a solution is to get more females (or less males, but the ones I have left are all ones I want to keep!) but I can't put anything in the incubator until mid-July because of an early July vacation.... argh. My other males just crow every once in awhile, what I would consider a normal frequency, it just seems to be this one!!!

This is the same problem I had last year. Too much crowing in the middle of the night and early morning. Finally got all of the loud crowers together and put them in the freezer.

I have 23 - five week old birds now and some have been crowing for about 1 week. I am terrified that they will start being obnoxious in a few days. Don't want to have to butcher them too young, but not sure what else to do.

This may be way out, but I have been looking at the sonic units that stop dogs from barking. Not sure if it has any effect on birds, but if you could set it for a 'crow' instead of a 'bark', then you might could discourage them from crowing too much. Or maybe an electric shock collar for each bird! (ha!).

Quote:
My mom used to have those for her LGD's ... lol. They weren't working dogs, just pets. One day I put it on her annoying Pomeranian....... Didn't know the voltage was different on big dogs to little dogs (thought it self adjusted or something) It was a little funny, sad but funny.

The only pen that crows 24/7 (no lie) is my bachelor pad... of about 8 roos in one pen.... they have no ladies and it's nonstop litteraly. Night means nothing to them
smile.png
I've heard them from 1 am to 2 am to 3 am to 4 am ..you get the picture
wink.png
I'll cull them if my 'rents complain but so far my mom just "loves the noise" lol sooo for now they stay
tongue.png

Quote:
My dad loved it too, until it got to be every morning around 4 or 5 am!! But they were in the spare bedroom
big_smile.png

lau.gif
yeah that'd be bad! if taht was here i'd wake up to hubby murdering them
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom