So... nonstop quail crowing from 4:30 to 6:30 AM??!

Quote:
but do you realize how hard it is to mow it all?
sad.png

I never heard my coturnix crow, the Bobwhite would never let them. Although the bobwhite would start crowing around 4 AM.

P.S. Rachel, I think your avatar might be the most adorable thing I've ever seen. By far.

Quote:
sad.png

I quit mowing. It cost $20 just to mow in front of the house so the kids can play so forget the rest.

We use a tractor to mow the "yard" and it takes several hours.
tongue.png

You're lucky your quail have a nice crow. I'm not sure what's wrong with mine but I mistake them for the yowling cat or something dying outside.
roll.png
Until I could get the rest butchered I split the males from the females and put all the males in a pen in the coop 500' from the house. Then I only had females in the pen near the house and one breeding pair inside.

P.S. Rachel, I think your avatar might be the most adorable thing I've ever seen. By far.

Thanks!! It was pretty amazing to wake up to one morning (2 days early I might add)

If I had the yards/acres that many of you all have I would get sheep and geese to mow for me!
smile.png
Or cover the whole thing with aviaries. lol​

No offense to those that like sheep but they are dumb and more work than they are worth. I helped my friend with her sheep growing up and they were always getting into trouble. We'd pull some out of the fence that had their heads stuck only to have them run back into the fence right away. 1 got stuck behind a round bale and we had to get her dad who had to lift it out. The neighbors sheep escaped once on to our land and we helped put them back. They never found the hole again despite it not being fixed. They weren't smart enough to remember.
roll.png
I'm used to horses where if you put them back you better have fixed the hole or weak spot first cause they'll go out as fast as you put them in.

I plan to get goats.

Quote:
sad.png

Didn't I tell you grass is a waste of gardening space?

My son would love the crowing he thinks it's a beautiful song.
smile.png

Quote:
sad.png

smile.png

I agree but I can't keep up with that much garden.

We could solve world hunger if half our yards were garden & we spent as much time gardening as primping yards. I enjoy a small yard to walk out in but If I didn't have but an acre or less I could find a much better use for the ground then grass.

Quote:

smile.png

I agree but I can't keep up with that much garden.

We could solve world hunger if half our yards were garden & we spent as much time gardening as primping yards. I enjoy a small yard to walk out in but If I didn't have but an acre or less I could find a much better use for the ground then grass.

thumbsup.gif

I don't have gardening time. I spend no time "primping" my yard. It's a mix of wild grasses, wild flowers, and whatever the heck decided to grow. There's a 5' diameter circle of creeping charlie under one tree that is usually covered in bees. We pretty much just mow monthly and don't bother with a weed whacker or anything. There are wild patches with grasses and flowers as high as my head around a few of the trees and bushes we can't mow close enough to and the border of the yard has been taken over by raspberry bushes gone wild. My "yard" would give anyone who is into nice even homogeneous lawns a heart attack. I have a 100x50' garden plot but I managed to get around to planting nothing in it this year. I'm barely maintaining my 10x10' herb garden.

Back
Top Bottom