SO not fair!

In today's email from Cascade Farm and Supply: Thursday, September 12, 6pm. FAll CHICK SEMINAR AND HALF OFF ALL CHICK SUPPLIES
...how does one resist such insidious temptation? We could buy one of those cute little coop/run things, set it up, and buy baby chicks.
We are both going, "No no no no - we wait until next spring so we have all fall and winter to build a strong, safe, sensible coop and run, then next spring we buy the chicks."
But we went in yesterday to shop for fencing for the yard and OMG they are SO CUTE!
Give us words of strength and encouragement, please! :oops::barnie
No prefab coops they are junk for winter (I know first hand)

BE STRONG! At least, build a better coop than one of those prefab thingies.
I saw the very cute chicks at TSC yesterday, and went home without any of them. It was hard, BUT; There's one bantam chick with her (?) broody mama in the coop, ten Cornishx chicks in the brooder in the garage, and five fertile bantam eggs in a friend's incubator.
How strong was I, really? Not very!
Mary

Last edited:
Sure I am ... those poor little chicks need all the help they can get!

Just think ... the store will close, and all the people will leave, leaving those poor defenseless cute little fuzzy butts all alone ... maybe the water gets turned over ... who us gonna not let them die of thirst? Nobody to hear their frantic cries of death ... or the power/heat goes out ...

Now ... if they are tucked away safely at home in a nice brooder, they will wake the nice people up in the next room to come and save them ... ;)

Hurry! The store is gonna close soon ... don't wait till tomorrow, it maybe too late :(
Oh Lordy, @123RedBeard, I’m ready to go get them now.

If you find you can't resist, the advantage to starting them off at this time of year is that they will be six months plus in the spring, and ready to start laying. (You did say pullets, right?)

But it's a lot of work over the winter and through the holidays and bad weather, when it's harder to get a chicken sitter. Especially if you don't have a broody to do most of the work for you!

Sure I am ... those poor little chicks need all the help they can get!

Just think ... the store will close, and all the people will leave, leaving those poor defenseless cute little fuzzy butts all alone ... maybe the water gets turned over ... who us gonna not let them die of thirst? Nobody to hear their frantic cries of death ... or the power/heat goes out ...

Now ... if they are tucked away safely at home in a nice brooder, they will wake the nice people up in the next room to come and save them ... ;)

Hurry! The store is gonna close soon ... don't wait till tomorrow, it maybe too late :(
You are mean!! Lol

In today's email from Cascade Farm and Supply: Thursday, September 12, 6pm. FAll CHICK SEMINAR AND HALF OFF ALL CHICK SUPPLIES
...how does one resist such insidious temptation? We could buy one of those cute little coop/run things, set it up, and buy baby chicks.
We are both going, "No no no no - we wait until next spring so we have all fall and winter to build a strong, safe, sensible coop and run, then next spring we buy the chicks."
But we went in yesterday to shop for fencing for the yard and OMG they are SO CUTE!
I got nuthin...:oops:

I have terrible temptation issues, but I hope this helps: we bought a cop in a box and my daughters and I put it together. That was in March. The nest box door is swollen and quite difficult to open and one section of the three sections now sits lower due to the hens scratching the dirt under it. Most of the doors and hatches have to be pushed upward to get the latch to shut.. you are MUCH better off building your own. (I have no building knowledge)

Back
Top Bottom