so now I have a broody question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AK_Button_Mama, Mar 9, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have this hen who is broody has been for about 2 weeks.... I kept trying to break her but she wasnt falling for it. so I decided to let her have her way.... I gave her 3 eggs from the bator that are due next friday. so here is my question..... after the chicks hatch could I take them from her? or will she try to kill me. I have 5 other hens in the coop with her who are not the nicest ladies I ever meet. so I am concerned that they will kill the babies.....and they are already sold. so I just want to know if I take the babies from her will she stop being broody? or will she keep at it?

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    she'll certainly be upset if you take her chicks away from her- it's like having your kids taken into care or something.
    If you're worried about the other chickens attacking them, maybe you could put her in a different section of the coop.
    Good luck with her hatching! [​IMG]

3. yup you can take them if you want , when we take our chicks from the hens they never even put up a fuss. Our chickens are pretty tame though and used to the kids holding them and etc.

Good luck !
    Fay

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Oh oops.
    [​IMG]

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I understand that maternal instinct in the chickens but I am worried that she will get beat up and the others will hurt her babies....I would love to see if she can fend for them as that would be super cute!!!! I might have to section off a area for her!!!!

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would let her mother the chicks. Just section her off or put her in a crate. If you move her in a crate do it at night. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by