So...now I own a chicken...

Duckchick2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Louisiana
Soooo, just an hour ago my dad strolled into the house with a giant Maran rooster. He's really handsome with red eyes, a giant crest, and no idea what is going on. I currently have him sitting in my lap. :hmm

So now what? LOL

I have other livestock but this is the first chicken I've owned since I was a little girl. Can I place him with my ducks? Their pen doesn't have a top so I guess I'm pretty sure he will just fly away. I'm not too worried, I'm sure I'll figure this all out. Randomly bringing home animals is kinda my dad's thing and I'm used to it but I sure would enjoy some advice.

Also, I haven't decided on a name, so name suggestions for a giant handsome rooster are also welcome.

Edited to add: I think I will name him Milo or Kevin... but my bro wants to name his Salsa. >.>

Last edited:
How tall is the cage?

He may try to kill the ducks if he finds them as a threat.But,f he sees them as mate,he'll mate with them.

Neither of those sound very good. :/ He spent the night with them. No mating, no killing...he doesn't seem to understand what they are. I understand that could change though so I'm keeping an eye on him. What he did do was crow all night... and all morning. >.<

We named him Presely (for his kingly appearance and musical inclinations).
roll.png

Last edited:
I moved him to a new pen away from the ducks. It's kind of a little garden area I had and I just fenced it in. Still working on it to make it "escape proof" but he's already happier there than he was with the ducks.

Get him a girlfriend, or tow, and i' sure he wouldn't think of escaping ;) and a lonely rooster is a miserable rooster! Even if he "seems" happy... He will be frustrated and just unhappy, probably crow more to express his maleness and try to attract females etc... Just saying though, it's up to you and what you have available. But i would have started building a chicken coop by now ;) by the way chicken eggs are the most nutritious amongst duck, quail and geese as they have more proteins, minerals, vitamins and less bad cholesterol and less chalories per serving! Just saying ;)
Keep us posted! And we need to see that new guy!

Last edited:
I've been trying to find him a girl friend the moment my dad brought him home (Literally). I just can't see the point of a rooster without a hen or two.
jumpy.gif
But my family says we won't be able to get a hen for him until spring. So Mr. Presley (and me) will have to be patient. Plus he's still on probation. When my dad brought him home he had no idea how much roosters crow, so for now it's touch and go.

I currently working on his sleeping arrangements. :)

You can find adult hen on facebook,even on here.Or craigslist.

I still don't think he will stop crowing so much.I have never heard of roosters crowing to attract hens,but to show off yes.

I've already looked on facebook and craigslist. I'll take a look on here.

I really like mister Presley. He's a very tame bird. He escaped from my pen though (I'm still working out the kinks.) Since it was raining he camped out on the back porch. Someone opened the door so he came inside for a visit. He lets me just walk up to him and pick him up (sometimes). He isn't crowing so much right now, I guess because it's raining.

The neighbors like him and even offered suggestions on how to keep him from crowing so much, Like keeping his sleeping place really dark.

So far, so good. :)

In case you are wondering No, he isn't still in the house.
tongue.png
I set up a comfy crate on the back porch for him until morning.

Last edited:
Lol sounds like he's the new guy in the neighborhood! Yes he crows to show off but when his testosterone in over the roof he will crow more and be more agitated, that's the idea(not getting into details of it)... Nice to hear the neighbors like him, but since they're suggesting ways to calm him down i guess they won't stay that way for long :/

Back
Top Bottom