1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So sad.poor outcome on my 'scovy clutch (demises and a major deformity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Dec 30, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    When our Spotty decided to goof off with her clutch, I saved them and relocated them to the incubator. 8 went into lockdown. Last night 2 failed the float test but I gave them too now. Of the 8, I could see/hear one pecking inside and 2 are zipping. A 4th I could just barely se emoving within the egg, with no signs of internal PIP. The other 4 I (re)float tested and all are 4 are dead. I PIP'd for the active one and it looks pretty dry, so i moistened it, took the top off the egg, and it's back in the bator and peeping. The 2 zipping I left as-is. The one barely moving I PIp'd for, located what I thought was a bill, and PIP'd the inner membrane with minimal bleeding. However, I think I pip'd t the wing so I decided to go ahead and explore, still with what I consider minimaal bleeding. I thought I saw a foot/claws but then noticed it was gasping for breath. The poor little thing has a terribly deformed bill, all squished up like a bulldog with it's tongue flopped to the side. I have no idea if it will make it or not, or be able to eat or drink. I decided to give it a chance, took the top off the egg, moistened the membrane, and it's in the bator. If it can make it out of the egg I'll give it a chance to live. [​IMG] These ducks are pretty special to us, being the offspring of our beloved flock of 4. Perhaps they are siblings and the gene combo isn't so good. The 2 I've hatched over the past few weeks seem perfect, and no noticable deformities on eggtopsy of the lost 4.

I just feel so bad for little Bully.

If Bully makes it I'll take pics tomorrow. It's so sad. [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Just checked on it...still breathing and is actively trying to rotate in the egg. I really hope it makes it and can have a fairly good quality of life.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:[​IMG] Hopefully Bully makes it.

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    ...still breathing...but I think if it makes it we'll keep the name we had picked, Yoshi.

6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    He decided it was too much, and went to ducky Heaven... poor little fart. I know it's nature's way, but dang. [​IMG]

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry.

8. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    I am sorry, I lost a little duck five or six years ago with a badly deformed beak. He made it out but just couldn't keep going [​IMG] I for one always fall completely in love with the little special needs ones and it hurts so much when they don't make it [​IMG]

9. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:X2!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by