So sad....

Hmmm...I haven't heard of super glue before. Is there a certain kind I should use? Are there certain chemicals I should look out for? Her wound is super deep, she's missing all of her skin.

I keep them in a very large pen outside that is connected to a metal shed for their shelter. The two front doors on the shed have been freezing shut on me with winter and while trying to open them we broke one of the doors so that it folds in a little when its pushed on. We put cinder blocks along the bottom of the doors and put a huge piece of heavy wood in front of them. Then we put two wood pallets in front of that. We thought that would keep animals out...but it turns out we were wrong. It looks like whatever got in was able to climb the wood, push on the door and squeeze through the tiny hole at the top of the doors. We're going to block off the shed all together now and build a smaller, safer duck house that I can put inside the caged area.

Until then, the remaining four ducks are safe in the garage with straw, clean water, food and a heat lamp. I'm going to bring them all in today for a bath. I hope that will calm them down a bit. I don't want to risk putting them back outside until I know they're going to be safe.

Zippy won't leave Blitz's side. It's very cute. She's eating and drinking and moving around so I'm hopeful.

Having Zippy there is great and will help her - is there any chance of getting her to a vet?

Normal superglue will work but there is a chance that it can cause skin irratation and skin death - medical superglue is advised so see if you can get to a vet.

can you get a photo of the wound if it is not too stressful for her? We might be able to give beter advice this way!

I used regular super glue. Some people on here have used a needle and thread but that sounded too hard for me. I used Betadine mixed with water to disinfect it and just made the skin match up and started at one end and glued it to get it closed up and then went back and closed any gaps. I just didn't want her insides to dry out. I had called everyone but it was a Sunday and emergency vets wouldn't take a duck. They really heal quickly.

So sorry you have had so much loss so close together, I hope you can save your ducky, thinking of you x

So sorry for your loss. I know it is hard.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Mr. Blue and Slinky were such gorgeous ducks----what breed were they? Emerald was beautiful, too. I hope the remaining ducks survive.

Thanks guys. You're all really great.

Mr. Blue was a blue bibbed call and Slinky was some mixed colored call. I think she was mixed butter and snowy or something.

Blitz is still alive and she's alert. Her wound doesn't really look any better, but it's only been 4 days.
I'll try to get a picture when I get home. I bring her into the house everyday and clean her off in the bath tub. Then I let her sit in their for a few hours with a really soft blanket and her own food and water bowls. I want to make sure the other ducks are letting her eat. She eats every time I put her in the tub, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I even heard her quack yesterday!

I'm keeping all of my ducks in the garage at night in a pen and I'm letting the three healthy ones roam around their pen during the day since the weather has been so nice lately.

I feel so bad for Blitz. She spends most of the day by herself or with me, but I don't think she cares for my company too much! lol

I don't think I could glue her wound together. It's just too large. It's massive. I'm surprised she's still alive from that.
I'll get a picture of her today. I've been cleaning her wound carefully with saline solution. I don't pour a bunch of it on her, I just soak some clean pads and clean it that way. Is that okay?
Then I put neosporin on it without pain relievers and finally I put a couple gauze pads over it and wrap it. I change the bandage everyday. Unless she pulls the pads off then I change it a few times. lol

Is there anything else I can do for her?

I really can't afford a vet...and no one within a couple hours of my house will takes ducks. I found a vet that would try, but they've never seen a duck before so I think it's kind of risky... I may just suck it up and try the vet anyway. I'll just have to get some extra working hours in...

She's lucky it's winter and the flies aren't so bad. If you could have gotten the wound closed Alu-shied works wonders. Some people use liquid bandage spray but I don't know if it has all of the healing stuff in it. I know that keeps the flies away and we use it on chickens and goats and I used it on my duck when she was attacked by a weasel. I hope she does ok, it's a good sigh that she's made it this long.

I'm so glad that Blitz is being strong - she's very brave having gone through all this. Are the other ducks including her and being nice?

Getting a picture will help me give some advice, although you seem to be doing a good job so far.

It's absolutly fantastic that she is eating and even managing a quack!

When you feel that Blitz is a little stronger, a supervised walk around the garden would do her good. Make sure the garage is cool and well ventillated because keeping them indoors can make them all prone to respiratory problems.

I'm sure she appreciates your company! Do you have a pet carry case/ You could put her in a large one and set it outside with the other guys so she doesn;t have to be alone - a lack of company could make her unwell so I do advise that she has someone with her at all times - perhaps you could do a duck rotation? Keep a different one in with her each day, or switch every few hours so everyone gets a turn in each role.

You could pour it over her wound once a week to give it a deep clean, but yes, the pads are fine.

When the wound starts to close, keep the bandage off for a little while each day so it gets some air.

Just make sure she is comfortable and always with company - you are doing a great job so far!

And I know vet bills are a nightmare! I've spent about £350 in the last 6 months! Do take her if you can, but be slightly cautious if the vet does not have a good knowledge of waterfowl.

I look forward to hearing from you later!

Back
Top Bottom