So Say I Wanted A Goat?.....

mandylovespets

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
What would you consider some pro's and con's for raising a goat? I've never had a goat before and wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to raise one...

Does this have something to do with those stickers in your backyard?
lol.png

Both MP and greyfields know quite a bit about goats. I bet they can weigh in on this.....

Before anything else the first questions I would ask you are:

Do you have VERY good tall fencing? If no. Goats are not a good idea until you have some serious fencing. They are natural escape artists.

Is there any vegetation or trees in the area you want to preserve? If yes. Plan on some serious damage to them.

Do you have neighbors close to you? If yes. Goats can be VERY vocal when they want something. Does are far worse than bucks for this. A bleating doe is much louder than your typical rooster.

If your interest is brush clearing get wethers. Goats are social animals and really don't fair well as singles, so consider at least two.

Amen to everything kstaven said, ESPECIALLY the fencing. Goats LIVE to escape. And playing catch up, trying to make the fence good enough AFTER you get them is aggravating and hard work. They ARE fun to watch, though. I hope I can keep these 3 I just bought. If not, I hear goat meat is pretty good....

Quote:
I agree with everything he said - which is why we have electric fences for the pasture with the goats.

A lonely bored goat is a mischevious, damage inflicting goat.

Wanted to add that goats are harder to manage than people seem to think, so do a lot of reading on goat ailments and upkeep. They require a yearly vet visit just like a dog or cat, careful maintainance and watchful eye.

Which books would you all recommend for reading up on dairy goats? Which have helped you the most? The least? They are in our future plans so I would like to research this well.

I LOVE my nubian milk goats! That said..i definitely agree with the post about good fences. My goats have 50 acres to roam on and they were bottle raised so they think of me as *mama* and rarely wander that far from me.

Since they have a lot of space to roam in I dont have a big problem with parasites but if you are keeping them on a small acreage you'll want to do some real research on parasites in your area and get goats that are at least partially parasite resistant to whatever is most common there.

Oddly enough i find that i like my hair sheep as much as my goats. If your looking for lawnmowers you might consider a couple of hair sheep. They dont test fences and arent bent on escaping like goats. They are more parasite resistant that goats and while they dont have as much personality as goats..they also dont get in as much trouble as goats do lol.

I researched for a year before I got my Nigi's. I still wasn't prepared for them eating my out of house and home when they don't have any browse in the winter, I have to trim hooves about every 2 months on one of them, and they yell when they want anything.But I love them. I got them when they were 1 week old and bottle fed. Definitly get more than 1. Just like any other animal they need worming and shots, quality food, and a dry, clean place to live. I did most of my reading on the internet and kinda just took eveyone elses advice and adapted it to my goats and situation. I'd love to have more but not enough space. Nigi's come in more colors than Pygmys but if you're short on space both would work for you.

Back
Top Bottom