So....talk about.....CANCER SUPPORT THREAD !!

Hardly a storm here....I have seen more wind on a normal day. Rained pretty hard and had some odd thunderstorms the day after the Hurricane.

How did you make out?

I'm in western NC but not at the mountains, the ones to the north got hit with snow pretty bad. The wind blew my brush pile over and the street barely got wet. My folks in southern NJ did well. They are about 35 miles inland all the way around. The coast got it really bad, as did the "bayshore" area (Delaware Bay) "Regular" folk who work hard for a living, not the folks that own the big fancy houses along the coast.

I'm worried about Luna. She lives up there in Brick where that fire happened because of a gas leak.JJ is in Hopewell which is near Trenton. I looked it up and they do have some damage and outages.
3GoodEggs is in Fla don't know why I thought she was north.

Last edited:
We're OK! My brother up in Atlantic Highlands is OK, my one sister in Brick near the Metedeconk River is OK (her house is on a hill) But my twin who lives right on the river had 3 ft of water in her downstairs part of the house - lost everything that was there: appliances, kitchen cupboards, all the furniture and TV etc photos & other personal things All Gone. No power for them either. I've been over there helping clean up the mess - so bad you don't know where to start. Her 3 cats & dog are at our house, they're all staying with us. She goes over to the wrecked house to do what she can then comes back here for the night.

We lost power for 3 days, but we did good, we have a gas stove and gas fireplace and lots of candles. I could have lived like that for a week or more without too many worries. Running water & toilets are always good too!

But the shore area.............
th.gif
any barrier island along the coast of NJ got it bad. Homes in Mantoloking & Bay Head (3 miles from our house) burning to the ground and no one could get over the bridge to cap off the gas lines. Whole houses floating down Rte 35 and 2 houses left their foundations and floated into the bridge. The videos from the helicopters - from Atlantic City to Sandy Hook - total devastation.

I went out to check on the chooks at one point, they were all cozy, safe and warm. I had to stay in the coop for a bit until the gusts of wind slowed down enough for me to make a dash to the house saying to myself 'please don't let a tree fall on me'

We were in the midst of adopting a rescued dog that was being kept in Toms River, but this dang Frankenstorm kept us apart and I can't get a hold of the foster parent - I know they had to evacuate......I hope they are OK and that the dog is too
sad.png

JJ posted on Facebook. She's good.

Glad to hear you and family made out fairly well, Luna. Things can be replaced people can't be. Fingers crossed that your new pooch and family are safe and sound.

Clucky I saw that picture on the internet with the shark!!

Well I am happy that everyone came through this time. I just went through chemo and radiation and I am sure not checking out for a frigging hurricane. Man what a year. Hi Gin, hope you are well.. Take care you guys. S@R@

Ginny, Hi. Thank you for asking
smile.png
- so thoughtful of you. Glad you are okay!!!! And thanks Cindi, for replying
smile.png
. . Here just lost power for awhile and lost some beautiful trees
sad.png
- hard to see, given that I've lost so many in recent years due to the flooding resulting from uphill development, but compared to the losses suffered by so many along the shore and beyond, consider myself lucky. Mostly I was worried about my parents - a tough go for them in their 80s and they are not well - no heat or hot water was hard. But they made it through, also got power after a few days.... Still we haven't seen each other since Sandy, as travel is difficult and getting gasoline is a challenge. I have to try to get some today as I'm getting low and have to keep using it to get to work and back.......I work for the state's environmental department, on overdrive since the storm with one environmental calamity after another. My heart breaks for all the beings that live outdoors - many no doubt having perished or injured from the storm. I've seen a bird with a broken leg struggling valiantly to keep up with its buddies foraging on the ground. On Saturday I thankfully was able to connect with a wonderful bird rehabber for a bird with a damaged wing that I brought to her. Mamma nature is mad and innocents are caught in the cross fire. I hope everybody here is doing okay.
hugs.gif
JJ

JJ please don't let the state forget my friends and family that live in the lesser know areas of the "bayshore". The area doesn't get the attention that the more known beach areas do. There are people who have lost their livelyhood that their families has been involved in for generations. Some since before the Revoultionary War. Just country folk who work on the waters of the Delaware Bay and Atlantic Ocean for their living. Not the million dollar homes of the Point Pleasant and up there in Staten Island.

Back
Top Bottom