So.... what disease was this???

Germaine_11.20

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Idaho
Hi,

I found one of my Silkied Ameraucana's standing all by itself in the outside run yesterday and it didn't move when I put food out for everyone.

It is around 15 weeks old now and has always been a little smaller than the others.

It refused to walk and after I picked it up I realized that it wouldn't open it's eyes either.

It was a bit hunched and ruffled also.

The poop is runny with green, tan and a little white in it.

It was not eating or drinking

I know it couldn't open it's eyes because it when I dipped it's beak into water it would bob around as if trying to find a little more.

I mixed up some Sulmet for it and confined it to a seperate location. By evening it had one eye opening a little and I was able to get it to drink a little more on it's own.

By morning it has both eyes open and had eaten the mealworms I put out for it. I put it on the ground and it could not walk well but tried.

I put it back into confinement and it is drinking alot and eating the pelleted feed now well. Both eyes are still open and looking much more aware and alert.

I have dosed it twice with Sulmet at the full dosage and have now cut it to half dose and will continue for another 4 days.

Any ideas as to what this is/was?

I was hoping someone else would come along with some ideas. Wish I knew more.

I was sorta wondering about a vitamin deficiency.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Hi Friend! Well, I just don't know what it was--or is. It is doing much better and within 3 days it was pooping normal and eating normal but I don't want to put it back in the flock for awhile. At least not until I can figure out what it was.

Come to think about it... it's eyes were not swollen, it just would not open them. The next day it opened one and the second day both were open and it was eating some.

Thank you for looking though Kathy

Thank you Cynthia. I tried coming up with something from the chicken health handbook but there are so many that have the same symptoms.

Odd that in just 3 days it is almost normal. I was reading on here that green runny poop is also a sign of starvation. I wonder if it was just not getting enough food because my birds are very non aggressive and this one was the "runt"

It is eating and looking fine now... go figure!

Back
Top Bottom