So what do you do with your extra buttons?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 19, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 16 button quail. [​IMG] It would be more, but I let a friend of mine have 4 of them [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm thinking I can't keep them all, cause where am I gonna put them? I know the oldest one is a male, and there are at least 3 of the younger ones (only 3 weeks old) that I'm sure are males. My luck probably more.

Anyway, so what do you do with the extras?

How many males/females can you keep in one cage?

How big of a cage would I need for that many buttons?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    From what I know from breeders on that group im on on yahoo, if you can, try to only do a ratio of 1-2 hens per male, as they normally only mate for life in the wild, and some males reject an extra hen but some get away with 2 hens to one male. In colonies breeders either have one male per hen as long as the enclosure is pretty huge (I assume in a 4 ft long enclosure you could have 5 pairs easily----THIS IS A GUESSTIMATION LOL). The breeders ofcourse let them pair off the way they want and just keep an eye out for any meanies, meanies they cull.

3. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    I have 9 buttons,.. 2 pairs in their own individual cages and 3 males with 2 females in a large cage.

So far all is working well,.. no fighting and I am getting eggs.

What I would do with the extra buttons is perhaps give them away to family or friends.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by