So, what does Guinea fowl taste like?

Engteacher

Poultry, Poetry, and Prose
13 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Hastings, MN
And please don't say, "Chicken." Seriously, what do they taste like? Do they need to be brined?

One last question. Will they eat Asian beetles and boxelder bugs? If so, they are truly a remarkable bird.

Their meats a bit darker than chicken, but........... They taste only slightly different than chicken.
I would treat them just like you would a home processed chicken. I brined mine for a day, than grilled on the BBQ.
Don't know about the beatles, we kept them in a run with our turkeys.

It's a good meat. And definitly brine it, otherwise it'll be tough. Mine had a more subtle flavor and would probably lend itself to whatever you wanted to use as herbs with it. I know it fetches a good price in fine restaurants in Europe. They also have a good bit of white meat on them, due to the depth of the chest. It didnt taste like chicken, more like a cross between turkey and quail. But definitely its own flavor.

IN Africa they're called Tarentaal. Here is a recipe!

Use sharp knife, skin, sharpen knife, gut, sharpen knife and cut up into 8 pieces.
Select 8 to ten round river pebbles, smaller than a woman's fist, clean pebbles.
Place pebbles and Tarentaal pieces in big pot and boil.
Keep heat high (boil violently) for 12 hours.
Of course you add spices and oil and butter and vineger and coke and wine and brandy and whiskey to suit.
Make Ausie hat with feathers while you wait.
Ride to Australia on your bike and give a whack where necessary, while you are waiting.
Throw recently severed tarentaal feet and head at your favourite hunting dog.
He is guaranteed to bring them back for another throw.
Stoke fire.
Sleep.
Stoke fire.

Let pot cool.

Chuck out tarentaal, reheat pebbles and eat.
gig.gif

http://keeskennis.blogspot.com/2006/05/tarentaal-guinea-fowl-recipe-blogging.html

I haven't processed any of mine, I have enough work with the chickens for now! They love Japanese beetles, I'm not sure about the Asian beetles though.

Last edited:
You kept Paul and Ringo in the pen with the turkeys...!? Oh, wait a minute, were you talking about insects...? Like, beetles? Try your local warlock, he might know a good spell checker. Sum thyme its still hard two tell wrung from rite, whoever. And beware of woodland environmentalists: Some tree huggers are pine nuts. Tea he.

Back
Top Bottom