So what treats are safe??

Dan nich

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
I read watermelon so I bought watermelon now I read that it’s not safe?
I read bananas so I get bananas and find out potassium isn’t good for them ?
tried apple sauce they are still living but how often can they have this?
cabbage seems fine?
what can I give my flock that isn’t questionable that will make them-excited?

I've read that watermelon is fine for them, and have seen people advise it to help sick hens start eating again because it has helpful hydration and nutrients? don't know about the other stuff tho. Lots of people use oatmeal, yogurt, or lettuce I think.

My chooks love porridge, a hung up cauliflower is a great boredom buster. You can normally put into google and there are a bunch of treats that are safe for chooks. It just needs to be given in moderation otherwise I’m sure they will enjoy their treats and forget about their feed which can offset their nutritional balance and stop them getting vitamins and minerals they need from feed. My chooks are huge fans of tuna too..

Everything we feed our chickens is going to kill them if you believe what is out there on the internet. Use common sense. If you can eat it, they can probably eat it. High fats and high sugars are out. Chickens will have their individual likes and dislikes as well. If they are well fed, they aren't going to touch the stuff they shouldn't eat. I give it all to them in a compost pile. Coffee grounds, avocado, citrus, banana peels... all items they "can't" have. They pick through it.

Back
Top Bottom