So, why is one egg oozing and discolored

feather2

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
north haven, ct
I ordered shipped duck eggs. They arrived in okay condition - except they were atrociously dirty. With suggestions from this site, i gently washed in warm water and dipped in a chlorine solution (1/4 tsp to 8 oz water). Today is day three in the incubator and i just took out this egg that was starting to discolor, but also had this little spot that was oozing a dark liquid. The metal grate it was sitting on was still clean.........but what about the rest of the eggs? Are they contaminated -should I throw them out. it was really hot when they were shipped - were they fried? Help

but what about the others?-Should I toss those too? These are white eggs that had a layer of crap on them so that they were brown. Just no way I could put them in my incubator without washing them. Do you really do that?

Carefully toss the oozing egg and not in your regular house trash (they stink so very bad).

As for the other eggs I wouldn't toss them yet if they are not oozing anything. If that egg had've exploded then I would be saying yes toss them all but since it sounds like you caught that one before it exploded give the others a chance.

I just candled my eggs yesterday and there was one egg that hadn't yet started oozing but because I didn't see any movement in this one egg I went to my bathroom sink and cracked a hole in the big end and I am glad I did... it was a rotten egg. If that would have exploded I would've been so upset since it is so close to hatch day. Now the other eggs in the incubator I am not tossing. These are due to hatch anywhere from the 12th to 14th.

I always wash eggs that are dirty also in a warm water/bleach solution but I know people who doesn't wash eggs before incubating them.

Thank you all so much. I will candle on Friday and see. PS the smell when i put it down the garbage disposal was pretty bad......can't imagine that smell ever going away inside the incubator

I don't wash eggs either, but I had a recent delivery of absolutely awful dirty eggs that I had to scrap the muck off of them. So I understand your concern about putting dirty eggs in the incubator. Definitely toss the oozing one. They are NASTY when they blow up!

Back
Top Bottom