So you work retail and need to clock out. Rant.

This and many other reasons is why I refuse to shop at big box corporate run stores or eat at chain restaurants. Everything is micro managed for profit alone and the customers and workers are treated like disposables. I'll either pay more and support a local business or go without.

I'm sorry that happened and unfortunately I know exactly where you're coming from. I used to work at a Petco that was extremely understaffed. The same thing would happen to me except that no one else was free to help the customers that were waiting for me... so I didn't have a choice but to go in overtime. There was one week when I had 3 or 4 hours of OT b/c of this and the crappy GM took those hours off my record so I didn't get paid for them. I raised hell over that, got paid what I deserved and quit.
hmm.png

The customer is the boss, period. They say poop runs downhill.
Nope, it runs uphill and any good manager knows that. Terrie
said she has never walked away from a customer and neither have
I. I have had to apologise a few times though. Bluey said the
customer is always right. That is a mindset that no one has these
days, unfortunately.

The managers and coworkers are immature. That is their problem.
If YOU choose to get upset over their words than they are controlling
you. Take a deep breath and let it go.

Sounds to me like you are a great employee and you have nothing to
worry about. Managers are easy to replace. Good, customer oriented
folks like you are not easy to replace.

A lot of places are going to be understaffed now a days. Something we will have to get used to I guess. My experience is waiting (I timed them) 20 minutes to make just a deposit (no cash back either) at a bank that I have been at for 20+ years. That is crappy service. Do I deal with it or change??

HP9, You are in a pickle. Just do the best you can, you don't want to lose your job. Good luck in the future.

I can understand both sides of the equation, but managers who don't put customers first will end up hurting in the long run.

As the owner of a small business who has had his taxes literally DOUBLED in the past 100 days, you look for ways to cut on expenses. I often will close with one employee rather than two and most of the time one employee isn't happy about having hours cut, but they also understand that it's either that or lose an employee.

Last edited:
"As the owner of a small business who has had his taxes literally DOUBLED in the past 100 days,...."

Mahonri, I know this is off topic and if it's personal, I understand, but why would your taxes double in the past 100 days? I'm curious to know if it is something to do with a new government tax or the Bush tax cut lapsing. Not trying to be nosey.

Edited: Sorry about that! The clue was "in the past 100 days." Must be the "rain" sloshing around in my head! We are so sick of rain every day in TN! Flooding, etc.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom