Soaking my horses hay in winter?

CrazyChicken360

Songster
Aug 16, 2020
Mass.
Hello guys, I have been taking care of horses for awhile now and saw that it’s good to soak your horses hay since it takes a lot of the dust and sugars out. I started to soak the hay but was just wondering if you can do this in winter? Since the weather will begin to get colder since we’re heading into fall, I thought the soaked hay might be too cold for the horses. Are you supposed to use warm water in the winter? Or just leave the hay dry?

I have to soak my horses' hay because my pony is chonky. I stopped doing it over the winter when the temps got to freezing. She didn't seem to gain any weight over winter. I think it helps that she had to use extra energy to stay warm. I guess if you have a horse with insulin issues, you could soak the hay indoors, drain it, and let it dry out again before feeding.

I have to soak my horses' hay because my pony is chonky. I stopped doing it over the winter when the temps got to freezing. She didn't seem to gain any weight over winter. I think it helps that she had to use extra energy to stay warm. I guess if you have a horse with insulin issues, you could soak the hay indoors, drain it, and let it dry out again before feeding.
Ok thank you! None of my horses have issues so I’ll just feed them dry hay during winter!

Back
Top Bottom