Soaking wet baby birds, gonna give them a chance for survival tonight!

alinas2010

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
It’s been horribly rainy overnight last night and tonight here in Wyoming. I mean like monsoons, flood warnings! I thought nothing of it, after all, my chickens were safe, warm and dry tucked in their coop overnight. Well this morning there were about 12 dead fledgling sparrows in my back yard. Apparently the heavy rain knocked them out of the trees and soaked them and they were unable to fly back up. My guess is they got too cold and died in the grass after they fell and continued to get rained on. Tonight I got went out to see if I saw any, and I did! About 10 of them again. I have been able to save a few tonight, one VERY close to death, even, eyes closed, not moving. I’m keeping them in a small box with some warm dry wood chip bedding. The almost dead one perked up after drying a bit! :love Gonna go check in a bit for more cold, wet babies out there. I know this is just nature, but I can’t help but be saddened by how many dead ones I found this morning. In the morning I WILL be releasing any I found tonight, these are definitely fledglings, after all. Just wanted them to have a chance in this darn monsoon rain! This happen to anyone else?? Seems odd to me to have it happen, but then again, we rarely see rain like this here.

Attachments

• 437F06AD-84C8-45D7-9E30-4FFCC09CDC94.jpeg
    437F06AD-84C8-45D7-9E30-4FFCC09CDC94.jpeg
    613.2 KB · Views: 2
I haven't seen that happen - it definitely would be a sad sight. Keep us updated on how the little rescues do...

I haven't seen that happen - it definitely would be a sad sight. Keep us updated on how the little rescues do...
They were dry and warm by 3 am, so I opened the box and they flew away. It was so heartwarming, especially since one was on the edge of death ❤️

Back
Top Bottom