socializing new duck problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peanut, Dec 17, 2009.

1. peanut

peanut New Egg

Mar 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I got 4 ducks last year(Indian Runners). My luck, I got 1 female and 3 males. To even things out I tried to hatch eggs this summer through incubation. Only one hatched. "Decibil" imprinted on me as I took care of her and was charming to keep in the house when she was little. Now she is bigger and smellier, I tried to introduce her to the others. First in a separate pin where they could see each other then ranging outside during the day. The other ducks would not come close to her nor her to them. I finally put them all in my reserve coop. After a week I have had to remove her. The other female is mean to her and Decibil was dirty and slightly injured. I am afraid she will be suceptable to the winter cold and preditors if she stays on her own but I can't keep her inside anymore. Anyone have any ideas

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    keep he in a little coop with them but seperated so they can see 1 another but cant have any contact

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have 3 Pekins that are 10 months old and 1 that is 3 months old and came across the same problem. My Drake wants to top the baby and I didn't want him hurting her. I took chicken wire and divided my duck pen in half. Little Scrappy has her own winterized dog crate in her half, along with her water/feed dishes, and her own mini pool (an under the bed storage bin filled with water). She can talk to the 3 grown ducks and see them at all times but she's safe from the Drake. Every other day I will put one of my grown Pekin girls into Scrappy's side of the pen to help her work on her duck social skills. It's working like a charm.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by