Soft egg and how can i fix it

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Putting the flock to bed when I hear a noise. My Plymouth was trying to push iut an egg and sounded constipated. Eventually she pushed out a fragile shell and yolk went all over the poop board. The shell wasnt soft but it was hard either. Very fragile. Shes been laying soft egg shells. I've been trying to give her calcium supplements but it hasnt heen working. Other than that shes been eating and drinking and being herself.

Attachments

• 20210916_191828.jpg
    20210916_191828.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210916_191823.jpg
    20210916_191823.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210916_191813.jpg
    20210916_191813.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 5
Putting the flock to bed when I hear a noise. My Plymouth was trying to push iut an egg and sounded constipated. Eventually she pushed out a fragile shell and yolk went all over the poop board. The shell wasnt soft but it was hard either. Very fragile. Shes been laying soft egg shells. I've been trying to give her calcium supplements but it hasnt heen working. Other than that shes been eating and drinking and being herself.
Is she a new layer? Do you always have oyster shells available somewhere where they cannot get wet?

I never get a soft shell.
I recommend setting up 2 feed hoppers or containers of some sort and offer oyster shell in one and granite grit in the other. They need grit to properly break down the oyster shell
You could get some human calcium supplement like citracal and feed her broken up pieces of the tablet to give her a calcium boost.
Soft shell can lead to reproductive issues and lead to the death of your chicken
Good luck!

Is she a new layer? Do you always have oyster shells available somewhere where they cannot get wet?
Shes a year old. And yes iyester shell is in a dish screwed to the side so it's not on the ground and it doesnt get wet. They barely use it. They like it better when I throw an egg down and they eat the shell.

I never get a soft shell.
I recommend setting up 2 feed hoppers or containers of some sort and offer oyster shell in one and granite grit in the other. They need grit to properly break down the oyster shell
You could get some human calcium supplement like citracal and feed her broken up pieces of the tablet to give her a calcium boost.
Soft shell can lead to reproductive issues and lead to the death of your chicken
Good luck!
I have calcium tablets but she doesnt eat them how can I give it to her? I break it down and she spits it out.

Back
Top Bottom