Soft egg, egg bound, egg in an egg???

Rosasbackyard

Hatching
Oct 13, 2018
Australia
So this morning my pekin was acting strange, and I found a soft shell egg in her nesting box.

She was acting egg bound so I gave her an Epsom salt bath and a massage which she passed the egg in and is now acting 100% her happy little self again.

Anyway, the egg she passed in the Epsom bath:
A sack like covering which had some egg white in it
Also contained a very hard egg with regular inside.

What may have caused this? Is this an 'egg in an egg' situation?
Pic one of first soft shell. Pic 2 of what passed in bath. Pic 3 egg that was inside of what passed in bath.

Possibly relevant info: she is one, it is her first year laying, she is a pekin bantam

Attachments

• 20181013_142105.jpg
    20181013_142105.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181013_162723.jpg
    20181013_162723.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20181013_162748.jpg
    20181013_162748.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 20
Soft shell eggs can be hard to pass, contractions can't gain purchase, so to speak, to move it along...and they can act very weird during the process.

The hard shelled egg inside the membrane is from a fully formed and shelled egg 'backing up' in the system receiving another membrane.

How old is this bird in months...and how long has she been laying?
Has she had any problems laying previously?
Do you have other birds that are laying well?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-10-13_7-46-22.png

Soft shell eggs can be hard to pass, contractions can't gain purchase, so to speak, to move it along...and they can act very weird during the process.

The hard shelled egg inside the membrane is from a fully formed and shelled egg 'backing up' in the system receiving another membrane.

How old is this bird in months...and how long has she been laying?
Has she had any problems laying previously?
Do you have other birds that are laying well?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 1559483
Thank you very much.
I'm in Australia.
She is almost 1 and has been laying for only a few months. She is my only pekin bantam but I have 2 isa browns that are laying well. This is the first time it has happened.
They get fed free range layer mix twice daily and occasional treats of mealworms, bread, strawberries, silverbeet and other greens. They also forage around the yard 3 hours a day.

Give them free choice calcium.

This happens sometimes, especially with new layers and after a molt

Thank you very much.
I'm in Australia.
She is almost 1 and has been laying for only a few months. She is my only pekin bantam but I have 2 isa browns that are laying well. This is the first time it has happened.
They get fed free range layer mix twice daily and occasional treats of mealworms, bread, strawberries, silverbeet and other greens. They also forage around the yard 3 hours a day.

What is the protein and calcium percentages of their main feed?
(which really should be available every hour that they are awake)

Yes, adding some oyster shell in a separate container always available may help and never hurts,

I'm sorry to bud in like this. My hen layed this I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. She is 4 years old and she was egg bound once in her life. She is free range and I give her calcium supplements because of her previous situation(egg bound). All I want to know what is it and should I be worried she is my favourite.
15404999498122903050149270663917.jpg

Attachments

• 20181025_221034.jpg
    20181025_221034.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 9
I'd keep an eye on that, yeah. What do your birds get fed?
NewThey are free range. I give them chicken feed I buy at the vet. I buy them watermelon, banana and all sorts of veggies. I give them a calcium supplement 3 times a week. All the younger hens lay fine. Could it be because of her age?

Back
Top Bottom