Soft Egg Shells

MicheleE

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
For about 3 weeks 1 to 2 eggs have been turning up on the coop floor that are soft. We have been 3 year-old chickens and introduced 4 new ones this year that are now about 5 months old. One of the new ones has been laying eggs. From reading it sounds as if these soft eggs are due to some kind of imbalance. But nothing is new...same food etc. It has been warmer here (80-90's) but not unusually hot. The eggs always seem to turn up right under the roosting area in the poop. Is someone laying duds and when the next hen gets in the nesting box she kicks it out? I'm not sure what to do. Ideas?

What exactly do you mean by "soft"? We have gotten eggs that are just the membraine.... I still have no idea what that was about.
hmm.png

One of my girls seems to be laying an almost translucent egg last week or so. Was wondering if hot weather had anything to do with it... watching this thread.
caf.gif

I am guessing that they are not getting enough calcium to develop the shell properly. Try feeding them some oystershell and see if that helps. You should be able to find it at any feed store.

My girls are all free fed oyster shells so I don't think that is it. .. for me anyway. This group just started laying this spring.. so they are in their "prime".

thanks for the suggestion....any other ideas much appreciated.

Last edited:
Soft meaning that they look normal except they aren't hard. And the "shell" is not thick. It's as if it popped out too soon....I'm pretty sure it's from one of the new ones but I never see them in the nesting boxes.

I just noticed that there is a message board for egg laying. Sorry I misposted!

Back
Top Bottom