Soft eggs...what to do next

I rescued a trio of golden comet chickens that have lice. I am estimating their age at 2ish. They are being treated and the lice is just about gone. One of the girls had it really bad. She does not have any feathers on her underside and her skin is very pink. It looks uncomfortable. She is the smallest of the three. Well she lays eggs about 5 days a week, even though it is winter, but the shells are super thin. If I get the egg right after she lays it I can salvage it.
I got them from a local kid (20's) who had them in his backyard. He said they are a year but I think they are more like 2 years. They also have their beaks clipped. He did not say where he got them from but he said he had them about a year. They needed to be taken care of so I just took them. He had to get rid of them because of a new dog he got for breading purposes.
She is my only hen with issue. I have had them for about 3 weeks now. Her shells have gotten a bit better but I have not been seen much improvement at all.
I should treat all of them for worms, right? I have been keeping an eye on their poop and everything looks pretty normal.
Since she's a "rescue " and a production breed, she may be starting to have some reproductive issues, but I would consider de-worming as well. You can get a fecal float performed by your vet to see if that's needed or if that's not doable, then just de-worm.
Thank you for the additional information.
You've only had them 3 weeks. As I mentioned previously, if a fecal float is not doable (a lot of vets simply will not look at chicken poop - not sure why but they won't) then I would consider going ahead and de-worming.
I would also give her extra calcium for 5 days.
With her being in a new place, this could also affect her laying, but since they were all infested with lice when you got them, it doesn't sound like they were looked after very well, so personally, I would take the course of action that I described in my previous post.

Hope things get better for you.

My 2¢
-W.R.

Back
Top Bottom