soft eggs

MelissaEm

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
One of my RIR girls is dropping a soft egg from the roost nightly. It's been going on for three weeks and I'm baffled. They have access to oyster shells and get meal worm treats daily. I've been giving yogurt too. They've been laying for since September and have always had hard shells so I'm baffled why muly girl is doing this. :-(

Try mixing some oyster shells in oatmeal & yogurt(or milk) for her to insure she gets some extra calcium for a while. My chickens gobble this up.

Yes I find the egg under the roost in the morning when I let them out. She layed fine for the first couple of months and shells were always hard. I mix the oyster shells with the yogurt and gave it to a few times that way. She does love the yogurt lol!

She looks healthy. Keep an eye on her, especially her breathing. It could be a virus.
The article said too many/much treats can also cause the problem of soft shells.

Update: Ginger is all back to normal. It was a food issue. My daughter wanted to do some chores to try and earn an allowance so I let her feed the chickens a few times. Well when I went down to get them food I noticed my daughter had been ceding them from a partial bag of leftover grow and show not the layer pellets sigh. I'd asked my husband to go dump that partial bag in the woods and thought he'd done it. So she obviously needed a little extra calcium to get laying normal again. Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom