Soft eggs

beeman1989

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
Khakis have been laying good for about a month. The past few days one or two that just started laying soft eggs. I've always fed them oyster shell. What do I do? All the other ducks lay great

Some ducks need extra extra calcium - I use calcium citrate tablets, crush them up and add to treats. If the eggs are soft, I would add 100 mg calcium per day for a few days - and see if that helps. Then maybe slowly back off and see if they get back into balance with the oyster shell.

Do they get layer feed also?

I would try the calcium citrate. If you happen to have calcium gluconate around, that can help, too. I cannot recall exactly how much I put in their water . . . maybe 3 tablespoons in a gallon and a half? But I do recall the Ca citrate amounts I use.

@Miss Lydia do you have the Ca gluconate amounts handy?

I'm getting a few soft ones, too, but they're just starting. I'm also getting super-small without yolks. Over the past couple of weeks, the eggs are getting larger overall, and more plentiful. 5 eggs daily, the past two days, out of 11 birds. Metzer Golden Hybrid 300.

This flock was born 3/15/16. I expected eggs in September.

I've just added a bowl of oyster shells for free-feed.

Last edited:
I would try the calcium citrate. If you happen to have calcium gluconate around, that can help, too. I cannot recall exactly how much I put in their water . . . maybe 3 tablespoons in a gallon and a half? But I do recall the Ca citrate amounts I use.

@Miss Lydia do you have the Ca gluconate amounts handy?
Sorry just saw this tag Amiga, I put 1 tab to 1 cup of peas. mash and mix up. can't remember the water to cal glu ratio

Back
Top Bottom