Soft Eggs

Rayansaki

Hatching
Sep 22, 2021
Hi!

I got 6 girls, and over the last 2 months, one of them had laid nothing but soft eggs. We have no issues with shell quality for any of the other hens.

Our Layer's Pellets have 4.1% calcium and 2500 IU of D3 per KG so it shouldn't be a deficiency. They also have ready access to oyster shell. We've tried completely eliminating treats and free range for a week and it has made no difference.

It's beginning to worry me because of how long it's been going on for, and it's really hard to understand since all the other hens are doing well.

Any ideas?

How old are they? Sometimes young hens' "egg-laying tracks" just need to get used to laying eggs properly if you know what I mean.
Even if they aren't as young it shouldn't really be an issue health-wise.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. They're about 9 months old. She started laying about 4-5 months ago, laid without problems for the first 2-3 months and then this started.

It's not heat stress, we're in the north of England.

Layers can sometime develop an issue with the shell gland or an infection that may cause soft eggs. It sounds like she is getting enough calcium, so this may be the case. Soft eggs can be harder to lay, become more easily egg bound, and can break inside. A virus called infectious bronchitis can cause several reproductive disorders, and unusual eggs. I had a great young layer who got injured by a dog, and never laid a normal egg shell again.

I would go ahead and give her a human calcium tablet or Tums or other source for several days to see if it makes a difference in her shells. Here is a good article about common causes of egg shell problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Back
Top Bottom