Soft eggshells, chickens get grit, old shells. Help!!

CrazyForCochins927

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
Green Bay, Wisconsin
My sister in law has chickens who recently began laying eggs. However, the eggs are turning out a little soft. She already feeds them eggshells and grit from the local store. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to change? I am out of ideas!

Thanks!!!
big_smile.png

Sometimes a chicken will lay a rubber egg - especially when they are young. I had one hen that layed a shelless egg every day for 2 weeks before she finally caught on that she was supposed to wrap them in eggshell.

Since they are already getting calcuim I would suggest you wait it out. Its kind of gross - but she will stop soon.

I would suggest adding oyster shell free choice. It is an additional source for calcium. I also agree with CrazyForCochins, new layers can lay soft shelled or shelless eggs.

My girls LOVE cheese. I buy the really cheap kind, cut it into little cubes, and freeze. Bring out a handful every couple of days and defrost, then throw it out to them. They descend like vultures.

Just an alternative to oyster or egg shells.

I agree... you might just have to wait it out. Their bodies will figure it out. Especially if you're feeding them laying feed.

Vikki
===================

Grit has nothing to do with helping make strong eggshells. Grit is like their "teeth'- they need it to grind up food. Make sure they're on layer feed and have free-choice crushed oyster shell, along with feeding the (clean, I hope) eggshells. Other than that, there's not a lot you can do other than wait it out. Like the others have said, sometimes it takes new layers a while to work out the kinks.

If it were one pullet, I'd say that her interrnal egg laying factory does not have all the kinks worked out yet. Sometimes it can take a couple of weeks for some of them to work that out. However, from the way you phrased it, I take it that all of them are laying soft shelled eggs, not just one.

Is she feeding them Layer chicken feed. It has more calcium than Starter or Grower. If she is not feeding Layer, I'd suggest switching to Layer. That might do the trick. If she is feeding Layer, then I suggest offering Oyster Shell on the side, in addition to the egg shells. Do not mix it with their feed. Just offer it on the side free choice.

I hate to mention this, but some diseases will cause soft eggs shells. There are other possible causes too. The Egg Quality handbook lists a few.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

I really hope it is just a lack of calcium. That is an easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom