soft mass right neck

wvasseur

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2018
Davis, California
Hi, I'm Wendy; I'm new. We have a year old Americauna hen that has developed a large soft mass on the right side of her neck. She randomly makes odd jerking motions of her head and neck to the right and this morning she's keeping her right eye closed a lot of the time. She has always been a little different. I wonder about her hearing and vision. Her name is Lavender and she has always been a flower child. She has always just kind of wandered around when out. She is at the bottom of the pecking order. She became quite ill two weeks ago, so we brought her in the house for a few nights. She then seemed fine. I don't know what other information you may need to help me determine what is wrong with her.
Thanks so much!

:welcome
Aside from what else may be wrong, the crop is located at the top of the right breast at the neck. When they eat, it may bulge if they gorge themselves.
My Ameraucana was always a loner too.

It does sound like she may be having a crop problem. She could also be overeating, and the funny movements are her adjusting her crop. In early morning, I would locate her crop, and feel it in the morning to see if it is full, firm, or puffy like a balloon.

randomly makes odd jerking motions of her head and neck to the right and this morning she's keeping her right eye closed a lot of the time.
She became quite ill two weeks ago, so we brought her in the house for a few nights. She then seemed fine.

How is Lavender doing?
Can you post some photos of her or a video of her actions?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

I agree with the others to check her crop function to make sure that is not the cause of the head/neck movements.

Look in her eye for anything that she may have gotten in it - dust/bedding or a peck to the eye. You can also gently flush the eye with saline or sterile water to see if that helps.
Does she have any discharge or pus coming from the eye?

You mention that she was ill 2wks ago - what were her symptoms and how did you treat her?

Thanks so much to all of you! It is her crop I am looking at. It seems fine, glad to know the awkward movements are adjustments. Sure looks strange. She did have an abscess just above her crop which really made it look weird. It has been treated and is gone and she looks normal again. She didn't stop laying either.

Back
Top Bottom