Soft Shell, Double Egg, Floor Egg Mystery

Hi there! I have a very similar situation with a 17 week old pearl star leghorn! She just started laying this past weekend and laid a perfect egg at around 7am on Saturday. I know it was her because I was out there when she disappeared to a nesting box to lay. An hour later she disappeared again and laid another perfect, but smaller in the nesting box. For the past couple of days, she has laid soft shelled eggs on the PB that were broken or what looked to be melted open. In other words, the shell was not hard. That has happened now twice. Also, the eggs are very small. Thanks for sharing your story. I know it sounds crazy that a pullet would lay 2 eggs but I too am convinced mine came from one bird. Good luck and look forward to reading updates on this thread.
Oh my. That sounds totally distressing.

I want to update you and everyone who has watched this thread that my EE has evened out and now is a consistent daily layer! Haven’t had any weird eggs since my last update about a month ago (although last week she layed an enormous goose sized double yolker the day after laying a regular egg, photos included).
The only thing I can say is hold tight, as long as she is otherwise healthy I’d give it some time to work itself out.
38BAC30F-7542-4ADB-B5D3-C0D7E873065E.jpeg
DD326DFB-ADCC-46BD-ADCF-2C112AFEC24B.jpeg

Oh my. That sounds totally distressing.

I want to update you and everyone who has watched this thread that my EE has evened out and now is a consistent daily layer! Haven’t had any weird eggs since my last update about a month ago (although last week she layed an enormous goose sized double yolker the day after laying a regular egg, photos included).
The only thing I can say is hold tight, as long as she is otherwise healthy I’d give it some time to work itself out. View attachment 2304229View attachment 2304230
Holy chicken that egg is HUGE!!! So exciting😊. Thanks for sharing your photos and info. I started my ladies on oyster shell today. Many people have commented their birds won’t touch it....mine gobbled it up like tic tacs. Glad to hear your girl got it figured out...now she just has quit laying dinosaur eggs😳 Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom