1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft Shell due to trama

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjpines, May 5, 2016.

1. cjpines

cjpines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    Hi all, 10 months ago a bear attacked the chicken coop, killing four of my chickens. One that was left lost her sister whom was bonded with.

We since have four more chickens and she's fine with them.

Since this attack she hasn't been herself as far as egg laying. She stopped laying eggs for months, now her eggs are soft shell and watery whites.

We give her oyster shells, organic feed, lot's of greens, fruit the same diet she always had. She is 3 years old. Barred Rock.

Could this attack still be with her emotionally as to why her eggs are not the same?

All the other chicken's eggs are fine.

Thank you group

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If she's chronically laying soft shelled eggs there's something wrong with her shell gland, perhaps she sustained internal injuries during the attack that you are unaware of. At three years her best laying is behind her as well. I don't believe there's anything you can do about it unfortunately.

1 person likes this.
  3. cjpines

cjpines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    I thank you. I thought about that too and appreciate your advice.

4. Nicole3350

Nicole3350 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Michigan
    Hi all a friend of mine had a chicken lay a egg that didn't look right and we were wondering if someone might have a answer.. I will try and upload a picture.

5. Nicole3350

Nicole3350 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by