1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft Shell Egg Problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rex Mom, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    I am hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a Buff Orp. hen, around a year old. She and the rest of the girls went into a molt around the end of September. Of course that's when all egg production went to practically nil. Still sporadically, one particular hen would lay a very soft shell egg. She's also done this in the past off and on. Now molting has finished...all their combs are nice and red again. I have another hen that has gone back to laying daily. No problem with her shells. Today I got a thin shelled egg...so thin that it falls apart. The unfortunate aspect to this is that all the hens want to pick at the egg. It is something I don't want to encourage. What are the chances that this hen will ever go back to laying hard shelled eggs? And YES they are on layer feed and have a large crock of oyster shell next to their feed bowl.

Thank's for any suggestions or comments-

Susan

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    Thank You! Since she has layed these type of eggs in the past I think it may be a poor egg shell gland. Now to figure out exactly which hen....ugh.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by