Soft shell egg stuck in duck

ethelandfred

Chirping
Apr 2, 2015
Vermont
Ethel is my ~3 year old female duck that has had issues with soft shelled eggs in the past. This year we started her on pellets with calcium and find that it's helping a lot. Not only is she laying more but they are mostly hard shell.

That being said she does have an odd soft shell, maybe 3 so far this year (in between the hard shells).

Now though, when she lays those soft shells they have an odd tail growth attatched at the end. The tail itself often appears out of her vent first and she usually lays the rest - but today she didn't.

While I was attempting to inspect her she ripped the "tail" off the egg. At this point I'm concerned about the yolk leaking inside of her and causing havoc.

I put her away for the night hoping to spur her to lay because if she's out she's on the go and doesn't want to stop for anything.

Tomorrow morning I'll inspect her better and see if she passed the rest of the egg.

I guess at this point my question is: if she hasn't passed the egg do I attempt to "help" her? Gloves and ky jelly? I also read something on this site about flushing her with a mild vinegar/water solution?

Also if I am worried about peritonitis what kind of antibiotic should I be looking at and is something like that avaliable at a farm and tack store (say tractor supply)?

Warm baths may help her pass the egg...Soft shelled eggs are very hard to pass but warm water helps relax everything. Get some more calcium in her diet to try an combat the soft shells by giving oyster shell in addition to food with calcium. You can also give her shells from hard boiled eggs for extra calcium. There are herbs that are high in calcium and help reproductive system. Like Comfrey, Oregano, Marjoram...And Oregano boosts immune system and has antibiotic properties... Dandelion greens are high in nutrients vitamins and minerals and are great for immune health too. There is a thread on here about assisting with egg binding, but not sure of link. Also if may be easily busted may not want to put too much pressure on egg.

Warm baths may help her pass the egg...Soft shelled eggs are very hard to pass but warm water helps relax everything. Get some more calcium in her diet to try an combat the soft shells by giving oyster shell in addition to food with calcium. You can also give her shells from hard boiled eggs for extra calcium. There are herbs that are high in calcium and help reproductive system. Like Comfrey, Oregano, Marjoram...And Oregano boosts immune system and has antibiotic properties... Dandelion greens are high in nutrients vitamins and minerals and are great for immune health too. There is a thread on here about assisting with egg binding, but not sure of link. Also if may be easily busted may not want to put too much pressure on egg.
Thank you for the reply, she's in a warm bath right now and I will try the addition of herbs to her diet. I was actually thinking of planting an herb garden this year!

No shell remnants in the coop this morning but it is possible either her or my male ate them.

Currently giving Ethel a warm bath, she's pooped a few times but that's mainly it.

I checked her vent and stomach this morning, there is no egg/yolk looking residue on her and her belly feels spongey. She's eating and preening and playing normally.

Should I be worried?

I would think if she's active and eating then she's good. Just keep an eye out for any sluggishness and decrease in appetite. And as long as there's no swelling in her belly or bottom she must have passed it. You can give crushed up tums for calcium too

Back
Top Bottom