Soft shelled egg broke on the way out - anything else I should do?

hotaru

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Hello,

This morning one of our chickens (named Lucky for surviving a cat attack in her younger days) was looking a bit unwell, standing on her own, comb a bit pale and floppy, not rushing for food as usual. I went out to check her later and it looked like there was some soft, broken eggshell sticking out her vent. There also seems to be the inside of the egg spread around near the nesting box. I brought her inside, cleaned the area and gently removed the bit of egg shell. It was quite complete, just flat, so I think it all came out. I've looked at the other chooks for comparison and don't think there is a prolapse.

Oh, she's a Rhode Island Red/leghorn hybrid I think.

Is there anything else I should do for her, or just wait and see what happens?

Thank you!

you need to worry about bacterial infection if the egg broke inside. If you have antibiotics like baytril (off label) or something of the sort, you could put her on it for a week to be safe.

I would also supplement her water with electrolytes and vitamins, and also supplement her diet with extra calcium - that is usually related to egg binding issues. I use a liquid human calcium supplement, which is easy to either feed directly to the chicken or top on their feed.

I have had this happen a couple times before. I put the "victim" in a cage with food and water, and kept an eye on her. I didn't want the other hens picking at her vent (because they know what egg looks and tastes like). I didn't want chase her either because she could get stressed. She pooped out the remain and was feeling better the next day.

I agree with Soler above. Other reasons for soft shells are a damaged oviduct due to disease (respiratory infections for example).

Thank you. She is looking happier this afternoon. Will look into the antibiotics and supplements.

Thank you. She is looking happier this afternoon. Will look into the antibiotics and supplements.

Back
Top Bottom