Soft shelled egg - broke while passing?

She seems to be eating and drinking so that’s good, I was going to put her out today but I don’t want to do it until she is back to herself since my other hen is keen to prove she is the alpha hen.
Good that she's eating and drinking......pooping well too?
You only have the two birds?
Best if you can keep an isolated bird where the flock can see them,
can make reintegration much easier.
Might even let her out an hour before roost time to stretch her legs,
then crate her back up off the roost after dark if you feel it's necessary.

Good that she's eating and drinking......pooping well too?
You only have the two birds?
Best if you can keep an isolated bird where the flock can see them,
can make reintegration much easier.
Might even let her out an hour before roost time to stretch her legs,
then crate her back up off the roost after dark if you feel it's necessary.
I have 5 hens, 1 rooster and now 3 chicks. This hen I will probably put out in the dog crate in the coop so as to not be gone too long. Should I wait for her to lay an egg prior to releasing her? She still just isn’t herself. Her poops are not what I would call normal, they are still mostly liquid and yellowish with some white. No brown yet.
I have another chicken in my sick bay from a dog attack that is healing nicely. I just am not sure when to put her back as the last thing I want is flystrike. I have been putting her out in the dog crate when I let my chickens free range so they can see her though and they definitely still recognize her, especially my rooster as that was his main lady.

I only skimmed through these posts, but I wanted to ask has the weather been hot? Hot temps increases chances for a soft shelled egg, but a lack of phosphorous can also impact the amount of calcium absorbed by the chicken. My advice is: make sure they have a cool place to get away from the heat with access to cold water that is out of the sun. I put water under my bird's favorite shade tree. Also give her some phosphorous rich snacks. Low-fat dairy products, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and sprouted whole grains (including [preferably cooked] quinoa) are all high in phosphorous. Of course, keep providing oyster shells and egg shells too :) Sometimes a soft shelled egg was purely a blooper too, meaning it just happened with know really cause.

I only skimmed through these posts, but I wanted to ask has the weather been hot? Hot temps increases chances for a soft shelled egg, but a lack of phosphorous can also impact the amount of calcium absorbed by the chicken. My advice is: make sure they have a cool place to get away from the heat with access to cold water that is out of the sun. I put water under my bird's favorite shade tree. Also give her some phosphorous rich snacks. Low-fat dairy products, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and sprouted whole grains (including [preferably cooked] quinoa) are all high in phosphorous. Of course, keep providing oyster shells and egg shells too :) Sometimes a soft shelled egg was purely a blooper too, meaning it just happened with know really cause.
It has been hotter the last few days in particular, that may be why she had it happen. I didn’t really come across phosphorous and it helping calcium uptake which is super interesting! I will definitely have to get some of those things as snacks. I think I may have a bag of pumpkin seeds in my pantry from when I thought I would eat healthier lol.
As far as the coop and run go, there is some shade where they can all go under, it’s not a crazy amount, which is why I am going to plant some sunflowers along that side to just add some more shade. I let them out for an hour or two a day to enjoy more shade and forage.

his hen I will probably put out in the dog crate in the coop so as to not be gone too long. Should I wait for her to lay an egg prior to releasing her? She still just isn’t herself. Her poops are not what I would call normal, they are still mostly liquid and yellowish with some white. No brown yet.
If she's in a crate I'd put her out there at least for a few hours.
I'd not feed a bunch of different stuff until her poops solidify,
just her regular feed and the calcium.
Don't want to complicate matters.
Check to make sure her crop is full and night, then is empty in the morning before giving her feed and water. There could be something else gong on here.

I now have a hen with the same problem! When I opened the coop this morning my hen "Toes" was on the 7 ft roost and I could see shell hanging from her vent. Other hens came in that coop and started pecking at the egg remains on the floor. She knew the shell was there and pooped and pulsed her vent to remove it. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera at the time. I asked her to come down so I could help her but she refused. Later I went back out with my camera and found her in a nesting box!? She is a Delaware and I bought 4 girls from a neighbor that moved. I've lost one to reproductive issues already. She is acting very normal, I can see her crop has food in it and she is not distressed at all. I'll let her be.

She is named toes for the toenail deformity that she has.

View attachment 2164521View attachment 2164522View attachment 2164523
How’s Toes doing?

How’s Toes doing?
Thanks for asking. She is acting like nothing ever happened. Happily scratching, pecking, eating and pooping just like normal. If I didn't see it happen, I wouldn't have thunk it happened! She is my totally happy girl! And she did lay a normal egg today. Chickens are funny, I was lucky. How is your hen doing? Better I hope. :hugs

Thanks for asking. She is acting like nothing ever happened. Happily scratching, pecking, eating and pooping just like normal. If I didn't see it happen, I wouldn't have thunk it happened! She is my totally happy girl! And she did lay a normal egg today. Chickens are funny, I was lucky. How is your hen doing? Better I hope. :hugs
She seems to be doing wel, I have her another tums tab and let her out with the others. There was a little pecking at her but they seem back to normal now. I’m just going to be keeping an eye on her today and tomorrow.

I’m glad that Toes is doing great! :thumbsup

If she's in a crate I'd put her out there at least for a few hours.
I'd not feed a bunch of different stuff until her poops solidify,
just her regular feed and the calcium.
Don't want to complicate matters.
Check to make sure her crop is full and night, then is empty in the morning before giving her feed and water. There could be something else gong on here.
She seems to be doing well, her poop had solidified. I checked her crop and it was all good. How long do chickens take to re-establish their pecking order?

Back
Top Bottom