Soft-shelled egg

Somesvillian

Hatching
Nov 15, 2020
I've had chickens for several years and I have never seen an egg with a soft and pliable shell until today, almost like rubber. I think it might be from one of my hens that hasn't laid an egg before but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what causes that? This flock is six months old and several of them have been laying for nearly a month, except one. Any ideas?

I've had chickens for several years and I have never seen an egg with a soft and pliable shell until today, almost like rubber. I think it might be from one of my hens that hasn't laid an egg before but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what causes that? This flock is six months old and several of them have been laying for nearly a month, except one. Any ideas?

That is normal in beginner-layers. All but one of my chickens have had a few soft-shelled eggs when they started laying. Hope this helps!

My pullet just layed a shell-less egg for the first time earlier today, and I haven’t seen one in the 10 years I’ve had chickens. It was her second egg she’s layed ever, and It seems normal for early layers.

Very common in just started pullets, hens coming out of molt, well-aged hens or a sick hen. Judging from your comment regarding the age of your pullets, I'm voting that it's simply a 'working the kinks out' issue and nothing to worry about. If the problem persists, it could be an issue with calcium. Some hens simply don't like the muss and fuss of oyster shell, but will greedily chow down on crushed egg shell or other high-calcium options.

Thanks for all the advice and help - I really appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for other issues. My pullets are all big, fat and healthy so I hope it's just "working the kinks out" with this one. Thanks again.

I just got one of those today I think and just posted about it. Did it look like this?

Attachments

• EA8BBCD5-3C41-444F-ADCB-3B2147138707.jpeg
    EA8BBCD5-3C41-444F-ADCB-3B2147138707.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 6
  • EA7205BA-7DF3-40C3-BAA3-6F77C393C7FB.jpeg
    EA7205BA-7DF3-40C3-BAA3-6F77C393C7FB.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 6
My nearly five month old hens just started laying a week ago, and this morning I got my first soft egg shell. As you describe, it looked like soft, flexible plastic and was nearly opaque. My research also said this can happen in the beginning and to make sure they are getting enough calcium. Best of luck to both of us!

Fairly common for new layers. Final layer last week laid a shell less and we already switched to layer feed with oyster shell free choice on the side (I have it so why not offer it since I got about 15 lbs still). Two of my newbie egg laying ISA Brown pullets have laid shell less. Rubbery shell describes it pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom