Soft shelled egg

WombatChook

Chirping
Jul 13, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Hello!

My pullets we got at the end of May started to lay a couple of days ago. We got 2 eggs on Friday; one on Saturday and Sunday; 2 eggs on Monday and Tuesday. They have all been small (compared to my slightly older chookens). Today there was one egg in the nesting box and the other was a soft shelled one on the roost shelf. It feels like a deflating balloon.

They get fed Barastoc "Golden Yolk" pellets, and are supplemented with additional calcium. They have shown no sign of illness.

We did "chooksit" a couple of elderly hens for a week, but my girls seemed to take that in their stride.

What could cause the soft shell?

I don’t have chickens but have ducks who lay
One of my younger girls started to lay about 2 weeks ago
Her eggs are mostly tiny but every 3ish days she lays a huge double yolk
As well as once she laid a soft shell then missed the next day then back to normal
I provide crushed oyster shells out all day but noticed the bowl was empty that evening and maybe she didn’t get as much as needed and it cause her soft shell
Is that what you provide for extra calcium ?

Thank you!

There was another half-soft one (and broken!) on the floor of the roost today, away from the nesting box.

For extra calcium, we have a scratch mix with crushed up oyster shells and I also blitz up old eggshells and make a "shell porridge" with oats (and a little bit of water to bind the shells to the oats) for them, too.

Don’t mix the oyster shells with scratch. The scratch needs to only be given in small amounts as an occasional treat, and the oyster shell needs to be free choice and available all the time.
Thank you! The scratch mix came with the shell already added, but I'll get a separate bag of them for the girls to have whenever they want

Back
Top Bottom