soft-shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by troutlakearts, Apr 25, 2009.

1. troutlakearts

troutlakearts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    leesburg
    :/Our 6 pullets have been laying for about 2 weeks now. Each week we get an egg that has a soft shell.
    Today, we got the third soft shell. All of the soft shell eggs have been laid on the ground and all of the good eggs were laid in the nests. Do the chickens know when they are going to lay a "bad" egg and don't bother to go to the nest? Today's was layed right in front of us when we took food to them. We do feed them laying pellets and oyster shells and have gotten 19 "real" eggs so far. Any thoughts on this??

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Probably the same hen. I'd isolate her and make certain she gets some oyster shell in her diet.

3. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Could it be just one chicken?That just lays once a week.
    We have had the same thing happen so far a NEVER getting one in the nest. I wonder why??

4. troutlakearts

troutlakearts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    leesburg
    I don't think it is the same one -- we believe she & one or possibly 2 others are laying all of the eggs so far.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would chalk it up to being new layers and still getting the kinks out of the egg factory, but if it continues you might have a hen with a calcium absorption problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by