soft shelled eggs

Cool another Aussie , I'm on the gold coast. I will have a look at that thread soon. Yeah, Coco has laid soft shelled eggs for a while. She seems to have normal eggs when i give her a daily dose of olive leaf extract, which would make sense what the vet said about an infection as that is anti viral and anti bacterial but I can't be sure it's not a coincidence. And I don't want to be giving that to her everyday as that can weaken the immune system into not fighting things off on its own . I think I'll go with the homeopathic remedies first as I have had good results with those with my other hens. It's great to have a place to share about my chickens , my friends get a bit over it sometimes ! ;)

Hello Chicken Mummy,

Welcome to the BYC!
frow.gif

I too reside on the Gold Coast and I know of an Avian Vet who resides in Currumbin Valley. I once brought one of my hens to him who was feeling quite under the weather and having troubles laying, including soft shelled eggs. His instant reaction was to hospitalise her, which I found strange, especially when him and his receptionist were both pressuring me into it. I declined, because I felt that it was just an excuse for him to charge me willy-nilly while he supposedly 'investigates' the cause. After a bit of research online, I discovered many unfavourable reports about him from other poultry keepers as well as reptile keepers.

If you really care for your chickens and want a second opinion, I recommend a better option. It will mean driving to Brisbane, but there is an Avian Vet there with a whole team of vets working alongside him, who will provide you with a thorough consult and a proper explanation about your chook's condition. They will not suggest hospitalization unless there is a just cause, for example surgery. Their practice is called the Brisbane Bird Vet and you can find all the information on their website:

http://www.brisbanebirdvet.com.au/

I was very impressed with their service and their sympathetic approach. Lo and behold, my chicken had no infection and the antibiotic injection had been a complete waste of my money. Hospitalization would have been another unecessary expense, because after a quick 2 minute microscopic examination of my hen's poo sample, it was discovered that she had worms. My chooks obviously weren't consuming the worming liquid in their water, but after changing to Avitrol Plus tablets, I've solved the problem. I definitely find it a better product but it's a bit of a hassle to administer. However, I discovered that hiding them in grapes and corn kernels works a treat!

By the way, I agree wholeheartedly with Fried Green Eggs about calcium being 'leeched' from the chook's bones if they don't get enough in their diet. This was confirmed not only by the Brisbane Bird Vet, but also by normal dog and cat vets I've visited here on the Gold Coast.

I hope you are successful in sorting out the problem regarding your chook and that her treatment will be successful!

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

Hi
I have 6 Isa browns laying & 2( Sussex hens) 14 weeks old. I have 2 Isa browns that are laying soft shelled eggs. This morning I had 1 egg on the coop floor squashed I very brittle egg in the nest next to 5 lovely brown eggs? I don't think I should be getting 7 eggs out of 6 chickens
D.gif
They free range they have plenty of shell grit I give them all the right scraps & I feed them layer pellets some wheat & crushed maize. I bought the Isa browns on the 15/06/13 & the 1st egg was laid on the 5th Aug so I guess they would have been about 12 weeks old. I'm from Sale,Victoria,Australia...Cheers..

Back
Top Bottom